Another Open Sky Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayAir

They are supposedly making progress on it. It is functional enough to finally switch agencies over to it (I guess).
It took eight years of troubleshooting just to get this far. We'll see what happens.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I don't see any mention of the Open Sky system being used during this pursuit.

Last time I checked the Oakland County Sheriff was still using the Oakland County System 1, Motorola Type II Smartnet. Pontiac Police also use this system, in addition to the new Open Sky system. My guess is that Pontiac was communicating with the Oakland County Sheriff, using the Motorola Type II Smartnet.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Police Chase

The article says the sheriff deputy overheard Pontiac PD on the radio. Looking at the RR database I would say both are still using the old analog 800 system. Not sure where you saw it was Open Sky but it doesn't look like it was. I'll reread the article again in case I missed it.

CLEMIS Public Safety Communications Trunking System, Oakland County, Michigan - Scanner Frequencies

RayAir

Pontiac PD has been on Open Sky for several months. OCSD is starting to get the radios. East Patrol and Hills Patrol (OCSD) are now on Open Sky. They are no longer patching these TG's to the old 800 system. They used to patch them. The digital warble in the audio made it obvious. OCSD North Patrol and West Patrol are still on the old system as they do not have the Open Sky radios yet. I heard they are due to get them within the next 6 months.

cmd1955

Oakland County Sheriff Dept.

I don't see any mention of the Open Sky system being used during this pursuit.

Last time I checked the Oakland County Sheriff was still using the Oakland County System 1, Motorola Type II Smartnet. Pontiac Police also use this system, in addition to the new Open Sky system. My guess is that Pontiac was communicating with the Oakland County Sheriff, using the Motorola Type II Smartnet.
The Rochester Hills Substation has gone silent and even when they were on system 1
they seemed to use their CADS for most dispatches. I was hearing a lot of things like 210, 220, 213 check your screen. Can still recieve Oakland County sheriff North,East and West dispatch as well as LEIN.

SCPD

QRT
Goose Gossip

So here's my question: If they were OpenSky, how did MSP hear the chase?.
I'm siding with the folks who think that while this chase was still OCSD and Pontiac, it was on the old system. And that's where MSP heard it.
If they were on OpenSky, I'd love to know the logistics involved in getting MSP to hear it.

freqs

in the past Msp units that patroled in Macomb St.Clair and Oakland Co's have had County radios in their cars before they all went to MPSCS or Open-Sky .I know that in Macomb Co post 24 cars would call in on Macomb's dispatch (460.400) and still do on MPSCS. so i would bet radioron231 is correct in the MSP has OPEN-SKY RADIOS

RayAir

in the past Msp units that patroled in Macomb St.Clair and Oakland Co's have had County radios in their cars before they all went to MPSCS or Open-Sky .I know that in Macomb Co post 24 cars would call in on Macomb's dispatch (460.400) and still do on MPSCS. so i would bet radioron231 is correct in the MSP has OPEN-SKY RADIOS

He's 100% correct, not sure why there is such doubt in the air over this.

PPD has been on Open Sky for about six months.

codeblue50

Premium Subscriber
I'm Still Very Pissed About Oakland County Going With Open-Sky , Jeez They Must Be In The Minority Nationwide Using This System......From My Experiences Monitoring All The Other States. What Advantages Do They Get Other Than Being So Covert From Their Citizens They Supposedly Serve ?

FrequenC

Mums the word on OpenSky

I'm Still Very Pissed About Oakland County Going With Open-Sky , Jeez They Must Be In The Minority Nationwide Using This System......From My Experiences Monitoring All The Other States. What Advantages Do They Get Other Than Being So Covert From Their Citizens They Supposedly Serve ?

Codeblue I agree with you, please use caution expressing your opinion of OpenSky and or your rights or privelage to monitor your local police department. Everyone knows that a scanner in the hands of a law abidding citizen poses a threat to national security.
I am sure a message has been transmitted via OpenSky to the thought police.

Buy and Sell on OpenSky Could this be the latest marketing plan for Harris?

Attachments

• buysell.jpg
    buysell.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 572
Last edited:
N

N_Jay

Codeblue I agree with you, please use caution expressing your opinion of OpenSky
Why?
There is nothing wrong with sharing an opinion.
It is when you start believing or presenting your opinion as fact, when people start correcting misstatements.

. . . . and or your rights or privelage to monitor your local police department.
As I just said. You have no RIGHT. You have an unprotected privilege.
Understanding the difference is important to having a meaningful discussion.

. . . . and . . .
Ends with silly statements like:
Everyone knows that a scanner in the hands of a law abidding citizen poses a threat to national security.
and like this:
I am sure a message has been transmitted via OpenSky to the thought police.

RayAir

Update:

The only OCSD TG left on analog is 16 (North Patrol). They (North) have been having some issues with the OpenSky radios. Technicians are at the sub station today trying to fix the issues. This talk group is still being patched (Open Sky to legacy sys). The patch should remain up until the bugs have been worked out.

It sounds like a software issue.

So am I correct in understanding that there is NO way to listen to comms anymore? I live in Rochester and have noticed how there is no radio traffic on the old analog system. I hope a Opensky scanner will be developed.

trashcan

The city of Rochester is on Open - Sky for both POLICE . Last week Fire freq 424.3000 was in use on a structure fire in town .Sheriff in Rochester Hills is on OPEN - SKY but
R-HILLS (avon twp) as it was once called FD & DPW are still on the old freqs .

Last edited:

gpp10x

Premium Subscriber
So am I correct in understanding that there is NO way to listen to comms anymore? I live in Rochester and have noticed how there is no radio traffic on the old analog system. I hope a Opensky scanner will be developed.

You are absolutely correct, you will not be able to monitor depts that are Open-Sky unless they happen to be patched to their old freqs. Although you could try to make friends with a local police officer in order to listen in. Don't hold your breath on a scanner being developed that can monitor O/S

fnnm1062

longtime member
from what I am hearing is the Rochester Hills FD will be switching over to OpenSky by Aug 1st. They will most likely still be doing tones and unknown on a patch to their current dispatch channel 154.415. They just gave notices to their dispatch center that they will be let go/laid off on 8/1 and Oakland County Dispatch is taking over.

RayAir

from what I am hearing is the Rochester Hills FD will be switching over to OpenSky by Aug 1st. They will most likely still be doing tones and unknown on a patch to their current dispatch channel 154.415. They just gave notices to their dispatch center that they will be let go/laid off on 8/1 and Oakland County Dispatch is taking over.

Troy Fire has been on Open Sky for a while. Here's what they are doing: They issue their FF's two pagers, one Minitor and one alphanumeric pager. If you miss the call over the Minitor the call is put over the text pagers. I got this info from a Troy FF that was in one of my classes.

He also told me the fact that the system cannot be monitored with a scanner was a major selling and talking point when they were trained on the Open Sky system.

trashcan

I hear Troy fire from time to time on 154.235 is that the patches or minitors? .but you can here alot of comms both sides .why is it they do not want general public to monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.