Another pro 164 question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in brevard county florida and just got this scanner a week ago and took it to RS and they programmed it with all of the freaks and it works great. My question is can you only listen to one bank such as "bcso,palm bay police,melbourne, every time I here a transmission and hit the pause button it just stops until the one person stops talking and wont follow the entire transmission.and beeps until I press the scan button again. even when I try to manualy type in the number for the agency I am trying to listen to it goes there but wont trunk and beeps unless I press scan again.. I noticed they have bank 3-7 filled up with numbers and only bank 5 seems to trunk? am I doing something wrong with the function button. I have red that dam usless manual countless times and I just dont quite get some things in there its like they start to tell you how to do something and then leave you hanging for the rest of the answer.. dont get me wrong I love this scanner but I did read something on another site that said you cant just stop the scanner on one agency and you half to listen to all of them until they came out with a way to follow them in a few years.

mciupa

I live in Brevard County Florida and got this scanner a week ago.RS programmed it with all of the freqs and it works great.
My question is:Can you only listen to only one talkgroup such as "BCSO,Palm Bay Police, or Melbourne?

Because every time I hear a transmission and hit the pause button, it stops until one person stops talking and wont follow the entire transmission,then it beeps until I press the scan button again.

When I try to manually type in the number for the agency I am trying to listen to, it goes there but wont trunk and beeps unless I press scan again..
I noticed they have bank 3-7 filled up with numbers and only bank 5 seems to trunk?

Am I doing something wrong with the function button. I have read that manual countless times and I just dont quite get some things in there ...

You may have unknowingly turned off the sub-banks while playing around with the scanner. You can turn them on again by pushing FUNC, TRUNK ,then 1 then check and see if you see the message SubBank On or SubBank Off.
What symbol is over Bank 5? A + or a - ?

I'm sure the guys back at the RS store could help you straighten things out as well.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
My question is can you only listen to one bank such as "bcso,palm bay police,melbourne, every time I here a transmission and hit the pause button it just stops until the one person stops talking and wont follow the entire transmission.and beeps until I press the scan button again.

No, you can listen to all 10 banks. The beeps is common when an EDACS system is not programed correctly.

I would program this system as follows

Make sure each bank is set to ED and each channel is also set to ED

Bank 0
Titusville
000 BLANK
001 851.21250
002 851.82500
003 853.16250
004 853.73750
005 851.26250
006 851.55000
007 853.41250
008 853.68750
009 851.76250
010 852.26250
011 852.76250
012 853.51250

Follow this same pattern for the 3 other sites putting them in 3 additional banks

In each of the banks there are 5 subanks with room for 30 talkgroups each. Program the talk groups you want to listen to in the sub banks.
One subbank can be for Police and another for Fire, or one subbank can be for Palm Bay and another for Beaches another for Brevard County Talkgroups.

above bank 5 there is the letter A and the trunk symbol flashing nothing else no "+" or "-"

as I said it only beeps when I try to stop the TX on one channel. It trunks good only on bank 5. the manager at the wickham and eaugallie store programmed it with scancat software. He told me thats all he could do he dosent know anything else about the scanner. or its functions.

N8IAA

above bank 5 there is the letter A and the trunk symbol flashing nothing else no "+" or "-"

as I said it only beeps when I try to stop the TX on one channel. It trunks good only on bank 5. the manager at the wickham and eaugallie store programmed it with scancat software. He told me thats all he could do he dosent know anything else about the scanner. or its functions.

The 'A' means you have the attenuator enabled. This means that you are knocking down your receive signal. Push the ATT button and shut it off. ScanCat software is not the way to program GRE/RS branded scanners. Go to Software for RadioShack PRO-series (PRO-92, 93, 95, 96, 97, 99, 163, 164, 106, 197) and GRE PSR-series (PSR-500, 600, 300, 400) scanners and get the free thirty day trial of Win97. Buy the RS USB programming cable, and get a premium subsubscription here at RR. Upload the systems that you want to monitor into the software, then upload it into the scanner. Do a reinitializing of the scanner before loading the frequencies from Win97. This will insure that there will be no left over bugs in the scanner to interfer with your scanning fun. The "+", "-" signs show whether or not your scanner is in open or closed mode. This can be done by pushing the FUNC key, then the "." key. That toggles the bank between those two modes.
HTH,
Larry

Last edited:
Thanks for all your input. I did manage to turn off the ATT button and went through the banks one at a time and shut off the ATT function and it now trunks on other banks. I will get a premium membership and get that cable from RS. those people that work there really dont know much about their products at all.. I called all of the stores in my area and they have no clue when it comes to their scanners..

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
I called all of the stores in my area and they have no clue when it comes to their scanners..

The percentage of Radio Shack employees that know anything more than general information about scanners is the same as the general population as a whole, very fey. In the Dallas/Fort Worth area where I work, there are maybe less than 10 of us. I have also had calls at the store from as far away as Flagstaff Arizona for scanner assistance.

This forum is the best place to get assistance.

N1BHH

There really isn't anything wrong with Radio Shack manuals. People make a mountain out of a mole hill when it comes to these manuals they can't understand. Most people want something instantly and that is where the problem lies. You don't just read it once and throw it away. I always update myself by reading all my manuals many times. I read a few pages on one subject, then a few pages next day and so on. There is an online manual that you can read also, located here: Easier to Read Pro-97/2055 Scanner Manual

Save that in your favorites and you can refer to it anytime you choose. You could also save it as a .pdf or other file so you can look it over at your leisure. And the best software for the 163, and 164 is: http://www.starrsoft.com/software/win97/default.asp

Gadgetman728

Premium Subscriber
The beep,beep, beep on an EDACS system is called "unkeyed Mic". after one guy transmits and "unkeys" his mic; takes his finger off the transmit button; the beeps hold that channel a few extra seconds so you miss the reply if you don't have a properly programmed trunking scanner.
It appears you have your channels in Logical Channel Order, maybe your "MODE" is set to anything other than EDACS.

NOTE: you can subtract 45.0 from your EDACS trunking frequncies and hear straight from the radios, not the EDACS system, and no beeps. The down side to this is short range, and no way to exactly follow the conversation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.