Another question about P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

ETMegabyte

I feel like a complete idiot. I listened to scanners for 20 years before they all went digital... I'm a Ham Operator... And yet now I'm completely lost....

Anywho...

I have a Pro-106 scanner. A lot of my local police departments are on the P25 system, and I'm not sure how to put them all in my scanner... Here's the relevent parts of the line from the DB here for one such Police Dept:

Code:
Freq           Type   Tone            Desc                            Mode
155.3100       RM     117 NAC         Bedford Police Dispatch         P25

From what I can tell, This dispatch is the ONLY thing on this frequency (which makes me wonder why they even bothered?), so how would I put that in my scanner? Do I have to create a TSYS entry with that frequency as the control frequency, and then create a TGRP on group 117 to listen to them? Or would I just create a conventional (CONV) object on that freq and set the SQ mode to P25 and the SQ code to 117? Or have I completely overthought it and should be doing it another way entirely?

Last edited:

puzzleriddle

just set it as conventional & set mode as Auto & go ahead & enter the NAC also post link to the system you are listening to & will look also

Last edited:

N8IAA

I feel like a complete idiot. I listened to scanners for 20 years before they all went digital... I'm a Ham Operator... And yet now I'm completely lost....

Anywho...

I have a Pro-106 scanner. A lot of my local police departments are on the P25 system, and I'm not sure how to put them all in my scanner... Here's the relevent parts of the line from the DB here for one such Police Dept:

Code:
Freq           Type   Tone            Desc                            Mode
155.3100       RM     117 NAC         Bedford Police Dispatch         P25

From what I can tell, This dispatch is the ONLY thing on this frequency (which makes me wonder why they even bothered?), so how would I put that in my scanner? Do I have to create a TSYS entry with that frequency as the control frequency, and then create a TGRP on group 117 to listen to them? Or would I just create a conventional (CONV) object on that freq and set the SQ mode to P25 and the SQ code to 117? Or have I completely overthought it and should be doing it another way entirely?

I am guessing that you are in Bedford, IN. No TSYS is needed. It is conventional P-25. Are you using software to program the radio? It would make it easier to understand how the radio sets up. Win500, Software for RadioShack PRO-series (PRO-92, 93, 95, 96, 97, 99, 163, 164, 106, 197) and GRE PSR-series (PSR-500, 600, 300, 400) scanners is free for 30 days. There is also, PSREdit - Configuration Editors for the new GRE line of scanners which also is free for 30 days. You will need the RS USB programming cable, part # 20-047. If you are programming by hand, follow the directions on page 31 of your manual. Then do what the previous poster wrote to get the NAC. It never stops amazing me how public officials are led to believe that going digital is neccessary. If you are having a problem, please feel free to PM (private message) me:)
HTH

Last edited:

ETMegabyte

I am using software to program it. I thought I'd be able to do it without it, but gave up on that after about 3 hours of pulling my hair out! I'm currently using ARC500 on trial, but will probably look through a few others once this trial runs out to figure out which of them I want to buy... I have the RadioShack 20-047 USB cable as well...

My initial post used an example for Bedford, NH. Seems most of the police departments have a similar setup. My example was what I believed the relevent parts of the line from the database here on radioreference.com... Go to New Hampshire, Hillsborough County, and look at Bedford Town of...

I'm assuming by saying "enter the nac" means to set the SQ Mode to P25 and enter the NAC in the SQ Code field? Most of the towns around here still use both analog and digital. If I enter the NAC, does that mean I won't get the analog transmissions? Or do I misunderstand the mixed analog/digital thing completely?

Hope this answers all your questions. And again, thanks for all your help. You've been a great help!

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
If there analog and P25 just set it to P25-Search, or you can enter them twice, once with the NAC and once with just PL-search so the scanner is not laboring trying to see if there is a PL or NAC....

N8IAA

I am using software to program it. I thought I'd be able to do it without it, but gave up on that after about 3 hours of pulling my hair out! I'm currently using ARC500 on trial, but will probably look through a few others once this trial runs out to figure out which of them I want to buy... I have the RadioShack 20-047 USB cable as well...

My initial post used an example for Bedford, NH. Seems most of the police departments have a similar setup. My example was what I believed the relevent parts of the line from the database here on radioreference.com... Go to New Hampshire, Hillsborough County, and look at Bedford Town of...

I'm assuming by saying "enter the nac" means to set the SQ Mode to P25 and enter the NAC in the SQ Code field? Most of the towns around here still use both analog and digital. If I enter the NAC, does that mean I won't get the analog transmissions? Or do I misunderstand the mixed analog/digital thing completely?

Hope this answers all your questions. And again, thanks for all your help. You've been a great help!

So, what you are saying is, that you are not in Indiana. But we can't help you with your question without knowing what you are trying to program:confused:
I am very adept at programming the 106 via software. So, ask away.

Last edited:

scnnr

I did a quick import using PSR-500 and this is how the import did the frequency and some others.

Attachments

• bedford.jpg
    bedford.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 278

ETMegabyte

I did a quick import using PSR-500 and this is how the import did the frequency and some others.

Huh. I think my confusion is the way ARC500 shows it to me. I am assuming the field that shows for you as "C/D/N" (CTCSS, DCS, or NAC) shows up for me as "SQ Mode", and my available options are Search, None, CTCSS, DCS, and P25.

Logic states that what ARC500 is showing as P25 is the same as PSR-500 shows as NAC.... See attached pic of the software I'm using showing the pulldown menu of squelch options:

Attachments

• ARC500-Capture.JPG
    ARC500-Capture.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 172

scnnr

Huh. I think my confusion is the way ARC500 shows it to me. I am assuming the field that shows for you as "C/D/N" (CTCSS, DCS, or NAC) shows up for me as "SQ Mode", and my available options are Search, None, CTCSS, DCS, and P25.

Logic states that what ARC500 is showing as P25 is the same as PSR-500 shows as NAC.... See attached pic of the software I'm using showing the pulldown menu of squelch options:

I didn't realize you were using ARC software.
Yes it would look something like this for the edited attachment.

If you have others using that same frequency you would put them in as well with their proper code that they are using under their sq mode.

Attachments

• sample.jpg
    sample.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 233
Status
Not open for further replies.