• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Another Ray's Pager Sales endorsement

Status
Not open for further replies.

KA4MLK

Premium Subscriber
After trying everything I possibly could in attempting to decode the Floyd County, GA P25 system (and trust me..everything from scanners, SDR, Yagi antennas, amplification, attenuation...even to using my Agilent spectrum analyzer to attempt to discover a sweet spot), I came to the conclusion that I am located in a crappy spot.

While I understand the VERY basics of Linux, I have never been able to get OP-25 running. At all. So, I was trying to decide whether or not to pull the trigger on the G4. After actually finding the funds (thank you reward points), my next decision was where to purchase it from. After reading the reviews here, I decided to email Ray last Sunday,. Bright and early Monday morning, I had a reply, giving me the information I asked for, as well as more that I didn't ask for.

I placed my order with him last Tuesday, and had it in my hands on last Thursday. I must say that to me, the programming is much easier than EZ-Scan, and it decodes where I am PERFECTLY. I've had 2 instances of garbled reception, but then the units had to ask the dispatcher to repeat, as they couldn't understand what was said either. So, it was a system error, not an error on my end.

The G4 is the best at a reasonable price point versus either a consumer grade scanner or a commercial two-way radio (yeah, you can buy them on Ebay, but they are a PITA to properly set up, you have to have the right cables, programming software, et al, and really know what you are doing) to solve simulcast issues.

While one can purchase the G series from numerous sources, Ray was the most responsive, and genuinely cares about his customers.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to share my experience.

Mike

6Paul21

Premium Subscriber
I second your remarks about Ray. I got my G5 on Saturday and was lost on programing, and Ray spent some hours helping me. I did test the G5 on Saturday in Pinellas County and this unit was perfect and worked in the drink tray in the car with short antenna. I was surprised at how good this received P25. I would ask Ray to write a book for dummies on how to program the G4 & G5, and I am sure he could sell them. I give Rays Pagers AAAA++.
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.