Another Stupid TRS Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

xusmarine1979

Hello all, if a Mod needs to move this I understand, I wasn't sure where to put it but here goes. After all of this time I think I'm finally grasping the concept of this.

Ok, let's say for Stark Co's TRS it has multiple towers, correct? It has only one site though, so does the radio act like a cell phone and will switch from tower to tower as you move through the area? The reason I ask is because after reading the Pro96's manual and the Wiki it says it will move from site to site, and at times it may want to lock onto a weaker site. So does this mean the CC? or the tower itself. I notice that when I listen to an 800MHz TRS in a distance, once minute it will be clear and the next it will break up quite badly. Again, sorry for the stupid question but I'm just now catching up on all of this. Thanks again.

FPO703

That system is a simulcast system. Meaning, there are multiple tower locations with the same frequencies.

A good example would be the First Energy (Illuminating Company) system. They have towers in Cuyahoga, Lake, Geauga, & Ashtabula Counties. They use the same 10 frequencies. So, I could be in Ashtabula and hear a crew in Western Cuyahoga County talking to a dispatcher.

A system that would have the signal 'bounce' from one tower to another would be MARCS. Say a trooper is chasing some clown down I-77 from Cleveland towards Akron or Canton. He will 'bounce' from tower to tower along the route, all the while, maintaining contact with his dispatcher.

seamusg

xusmarine1979 said:
Hello all, if a Mod needs to move this I understand, I wasn't sure where to put it but here goes. After all of this time I think I'm finally grasping the concept of this.

Ok, let's say for Stark Co's TRS it has multiple towers, correct? It has only one site though, so does the radio act like a cell phone and will switch from tower to tower as you move through the area? The reason I ask is because after reading the Pro96's manual and the Wiki it says it will move from site to site, and at times it may want to lock onto a weaker site. So does this mean the CC? or the tower itself. I notice that when I listen to an 800MHz TRS in a distance, once minute it will be clear and the next it will break up quite badly. Again, sorry for the stupid question but I'm just now catching up on all of this. Thanks again.
Stark Co. TRS has 2 sites (Stark Co. and Canton). When a radio looses the CC for the site it is on it will look for another CC with the same Sys ID, so a radio on the system will switch between sites. On a large P25 system like Michigan's MPSCS, the sites advertise the CC of the next site (neighbors), so the radios on the system know where to look for the next CC. It's very simular to cell phones going between cells.

xusmarine1979

Ok, that's what I thought. I don't know if it's just me but sometimes it seems like I can hear the SO on Canton's site during the week, not the weekend. Is this something the computer does, because I know they still drive through the city during the weekend. My only guess is that when they are downtown inside the offices their portables cannot recieve the county's CC. So do I pretty much have the right idea?

xusmarine1979

Gotchya. Now let's say Stark County's site, just the county's not Canton. I look on the site's map and it shows different locations. Are those the repeaters, if so do they each brodcast the CC?

FPO703

Each tower location in a simulcast system broascasts the same information on the same frequencies at the same time.

So, if a Stark SO unit is near the South end of the County and talks with a unit on the North End (via the Stark County Sites), their traffic will be on the same talkgroup and the same frequency.

xusmarine1979

FPO703 said:
Each tower location in a simulcast system broascasts the same information on the same frequencies at the same time.

So, if a Stark SO unit is near the South end of the County and talks with a unit on the North End (via the Stark County Sites), their traffic will be on the same talkgroup and the same frequency.

That's the answer I was lookin' for. Thanks Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.