Another System Goes Project 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

brey1234

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
SCHAUMBURG, IL- 20 April, 2006-First responders in Alameda County, California, will soon be linked via a new emergency radio system.
The new Alameda County digital radio network replaces an aging analog radio network, and will provide the East Bay Region with interoperable radio communications for any agency that elects to use it. It will remove blockages in emergency communications caused by incompatible technologies and overcrowded frequencies across the region that have plagued East Bay police and fire agencies.
http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=12931

akardam

The ALCO 800 TRS transition to P25 has been in the works for a while now - they figured that since they were going to have to deal with rebanding they might as well go P25 capable as well. That bit sounds like the usual Mother M puff piece (note what city it came out of).

trooperdude

Database Admin
I think you will be seeing this a lot on the systems being rebanded.

Since NexTel is picking up the $$ tab for comparable replacement equipment, it's not
much of a stretch to go with P25.

The bigger question remains. Will they be going encrypted ?

Encryption is MUCH easier/cheaper to implement on a P25 system.

digitaljim6

Sprint/Nextel is only paying for frequency changes, not equipment upgrades or system expansion. They would only pay for replacement equipment if the existing equipment CAN'T be made to change to the new frequencies. If it can change, Sprint/Nextel pays for the necessary tuning, flashing, and reprogramming or new frequency-determining elements (like crystals, channel elements, ICOMs, etc) and that's it.

If the equipment owner wants more radios, sites, or bells and whistles, they have to pay for that part themselves. Sprint/Nextel won't buy it for them.

trooperdude said:
I think you will be seeing this a lot on the systems being rebanded.

Since NexTel is picking up the $$ tab for comparable replacement equipment, it's not
much of a stretch to go with P25.

The bigger question remains. Will they be going encrypted ?

Encryption is MUCH easier/cheaper to implement on a P25 system.

trooperdude

Database Admin
digitaljim6 said:
Sprint/Nextel is only paying for frequency changes, not equipment upgrades or system expansion. They would only pay for replacement equipment if the existing equipment CAN'T be made to change to the new frequencies. If it can change, Sprint/Nextel pays for the necessary tuning, flashing, and reprogramming or new frequency-determining elements (like crystals, channel elements, ICOMs, etc) and that's it.

If the equipment owner wants more radios, sites, or bells and whistles, they have to pay for that part themselves. Sprint/Nextel won't buy it for them.

Correct, no upgrades. Only "like" equipment. Some expansion IS allowed depending on the agreement reached with NexTel. vis a vis, the same coverage is required to be provided.. new vs old system.

Spectras cannot be flashed or reporgrammed for rebanding.

Neither can some of the older trunking base station equipment.

NexTel is paying for new radios for my department that meet the minimum proposed system rebanding requirements.

They just also happen to be P25 capable since that's the only thing available from
the big M.

A lot of departments will try to get federal DHS grants to cover upgrades past the
minimum as well.

MANY are successful.

digitaljim6

Yup. ---------

trooperdude said:
Correct, no upgrades. Only "like" equipment. Some expansion IS allowed depending on the agreement reached with NexTel. vis a vis, the same coverage is required to be provided.. new vs old system.

Spectras cannot be flashed or reporgrammed for rebanding.

Neither can some of the older trunking base station equipment.

NexTel is paying for new radios for my department that meet the minimum proposed system rebanding requirements.

They just also happen to be P25 capable since that's the only thing available from
the big M.

A lot of departments will try to get federal DHS grants to cover upgrades past the
minimum as well.

MANY are successful.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
The system is being built in phases. At the moment, from what I've read, the equipment is being installed.

They've got quite a while before the frequency retune portion is begun but when that happens the new system should start to go online. They'll want to have enough infrastructure up to provide the same level of service the old system did.

-Wayne

mikeh

as to encrypted ?
if we look around the county most of the pds are going encrypted ?
but most of the fire depertments are not , that not the case all the but as a genral thats
the way it works out most of the time . monto is pushing encrypted ? this is just guess on my part i thing yes on pd on encrypted
on fire.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
mikeh said:
as to encrypted ?
if we look around the county most of the pds are going encrypted ?
but most of the fire depertments are not , that not the case all the but as a genral thats
the way it works out most of the time . monto is pushing encrypted ? this is just guess on my part i thing yes on pd on encrypted
on fire.
:roll: Nothing has indicated, in any way, that general Law Enforcement operations is going encrypted anywhere around here.

When you make posts like that it gets everyone in a big rant about encryption. People, please don't start the debate here.

-Wayne

mikeh

sorry i did not mead to start anything about encrypted here i was just answering someone question , about encrypted

sorry about that

Status
Not open for further replies.