Another Tanker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
379
Choctaw will be putting another tanker in service soon. Chevrolet Kodiak chassis with a 1500 gallon tank. I will post pics when we get it together and painted...
 

plaws

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
1,667
Location
O-o-o-o-o-o-o-klahoma
sentrymechanic said:
Choctaw will be putting another tanker in service soon. Chevrolet Kodiak chassis with a 1500 gallon tank. I will post pics when we get it together and painted...
Good job. Can Norman get your old one? We could use a second since we only have one. Which we keep downtown. You know ... where there are hydrants.
 

eharlow

Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2005
Messages
218
Location
Edmond, OK
Tanker

Where'd you scrounge up that chassis at? Gonna build it just like 205 and 235? Now Peter, I've had that discussion with the NFD brass and they claim they need it on the west side of town sometimes also so that's why it's central. Years ago it was at the old 3's.
 

jlaizure

Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2004
Messages
36
Location
Norman Oklahoma
I suspect Norman keeps the tanker at station 1 due to staffing purposes. Also, Norman has mutual aid agreement with Little Axe in eastern Cleveland County.

Norman just passed a sales tax increase dedicated to public safety. The increase will allow for the hiring of 41police officers and 30 firefighters, equip and train them and build two new fire stations on the northwest and southeast sides of Norman.
 
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
379
eharlow said:
Where'd you scrounge up that chassis at? Gonna build it just like 205 and 235? Now Peter, I've had that discussion with the NFD brass and they claim they need it on the west side of town sometimes also so that's why it's central. Years ago it was at the old 3's.
Chassis is coming from ODOT. 205, 225 and 235 are all 2500 gallon tankers, this one will be 1500. Best part is that its got a vacuum pump and with only 1500 gallons we can pull up up on a lake or pond and refill it. In response to giving an old one to Norman, You guys got a lot more money than we do and we never give up tankers. Our hydrant situation sucks too.
 

plaws

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
1,667
Location
O-o-o-o-o-o-o-klahoma
eharlow said:
Now Peter, I've had that discussion with the NFD brass and they claim they need it on the west side of town sometimes also so that's why it's central. Years ago it was at the old 3's.
So that it can't serve either side of town efficiently? Not a great reason, really. If a tanker is needed out west as well, then we need two.

As for staffing, the correct answer would be to put an engine with a big tank (2000 gal?) at 5s or 6's. If one is really needed on the west side (didn't know there were any parts of town west of the interstate that lacked hydrants), then put on at 4's or the new west station.

Yeah, I'm torqued about the issue.
 

plaws

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
1,667
Location
O-o-o-o-o-o-o-klahoma
jlaizure said:
Norman just passed a sales tax increase dedicated to public safety. The increase will allow for the hiring of 41police officers and 30 firefighters, equip and train them and build two new fire stations on the northwest and southeast sides of Norman.
That money is only for the urban part of Norman. The rural part, Ward 5, won't get any tangible benefit. There are certainly intangible benefits, i.e. having more patrol officers will reduce the number of times both Frank units (who cover 150+ square miles) will get pulled into town and similar for the FD, but no definite upgrades out here.

The upgrades are sorely needed in town, to be sure, but they aren't applicable to the east side.
 

jlaizure

Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2004
Messages
36
Location
Norman Oklahoma
plaws said:
That money is only for the urban part of Norman. The rural part, Ward 5, won't get any tangible benefit. There are certainly intangible benefits, i.e. having more patrol officers will reduce the number of times both Frank units (who cover 150+ square miles) will get pulled into town and similar for the FD, but no definite upgrades out here.

The upgrades are sorely needed in town, to be sure, but they aren't applicable to the east side.
Point made. New fire stations will be in the vicinities of 36th Ave. NW and Tecumseh Road and 36th Ave. SE and Alameda St.
 

eharlow

Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2005
Messages
218
Location
Edmond, OK
Tankers

Yeah I forgot...Kerry told me about that truck. It's like the city's but you guys are using it as a fire truck also?

On the Norman tanker thing....I agree that you need one out east for sure....either 5 or 6's would work I'd think.....It could easily be a 1 man unit.
 
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
379
eharlow said:
Yeah I forgot...Kerry told me about that truck. It's like the city's but you guys are using it as a fire truck also?

On the Norman tanker thing....I agree that you need one out east for sure....either 5 or 6's would work I'd think.....It could easily be a 1 man unit.
Well... the other way around. It's Fire Dept. truck but if the public works guys need water, they will take it, instead of borrowing a brush truck like they normally do.


And you guys in Norman have nothing to gripe about because I have seen what you guys are working with.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top