Kenwood: Another TS-2000 receive issue question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepBlue

I bought a nice lightly used TS-2000X and used it for my first ever Moonbounce QSO recently but the other night I noticed the audio was dropping to a very quiet level as was the received strength on seemingly all bands. My first assumption is this is the dreaded filter issue we all seem top know about. What I have heard of the filter issue is there are generally static crash type noises before the total failure of the filters. I did not have any such static noises but am thinking the dropping out issue is still the filters. I plan to replace them all soon but am wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and this cured it? I would like to fix it once if I can rather than do the filters and not solve it only to have to dig into it again. Ideas? Options? Anyone?

I like the radio for it's power output and convenience and plan to take it on an EME road trip into northern Canada mid 2019 so any help is appreciated. I suppose if the filter replacement doesn't do it I shall send her in to Kenwood for a full workup.

Thanks,
Sean
KB8JNE
EN80lb

DeepBlue

bump
Planning to replace the audio amplifier IC-9 and several of the electrolytic caps around it as a preventative and test. The IC used is a stereo auto car radio IC amp with thermal shutdown internal for each channel. Seems unlikely both channels would shut down at the same time but the symptoms indicate a loss of output audio on both main and sub bands at the same time. It is not total audio loss, just a major reduction in the output audio level. It is absolutely the audio level as the receive S-meter current;y holds solid when on a signal. I have not tested the audio output on the accessory jacks but that may be a good idea as well. IC is on order and several upgrade caps are on hand. If this fails I will consider sending it to Kenwood as I do not have great test gear on hand to delve deeper into the issue.

The plastic IF filter replacement went perfectly and is doing well. Examination of the filters internals showed no electromigration or moisture so that was likely unnecessary but seemed good protection at the time against possible future issues.

S.

Status
Not open for further replies.