Another which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

45SigSauer

Which is better? The Pro-97 or the Pro-164? The only real difference I can see is the frequency range, the 164 does 764-960, whereas the Pro-97 doesn't, and also the 164 says it can be Rebanded, is that such a huge concern for NW Indiana? Thanks
P.S. When is the Pro-162 supposed to be out?

pogbobo

dude, you have to give it more time ... and understand that there are more lurkers than posting members lol ...

IMHO, the pro164 is an upgraded pro97 ... with improvments including a signal meter, and ... hmmm, other stuff lol ... oh oh rebanding as well (check the wiki)

if $$ is an issue, wait until the pro97 goes on sale for its well-known $150 price tag ... or hold out and see if they put the 164 on sale at some point (it was $170 i think when it first came out)

if $$ is not an issue, then go for the pro164 since its newer overall

or read the wiki and check the database and come to your own conclusion :):cool:

Last edited:

n2mdk

Actually it would be better to buy the PSR-300 it's less money in most places than the Pro-164 and comes with the AC adapter.
The major differences between the 97 and the other 2 are the S-Meter, Railroad search, Updateable firmware, and 700MHz (which is useless on a analog radio in the US)

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
45SigSauer said:
Which is better? The Pro-97 or the Pro-164? The only real difference I can see is the frequency range, the 164 does 764-960, whereas the Pro-97 doesn't, and also the 164 says it can be Rebanded, is that such a huge concern for NW Indiana? Thanks
P.S. When is the Pro-162 supposed to be out?

Because the 164 will support rebanding, I say go with that. Unless there's no Motorola trunking in your area.

I bought the PRO-164 and it works great for me! I would wait for it to go on sale though. I don't know if it is worth all $220, but I got it when it was $180 (they do it every month or so).

No Problems with it! I am happy with it.

lugoffman

the radio shack were im from has the 164 for 139.99 and the pro97 for 199.99 doesnt make since but i did get my 97 for 159.99 when it was on sale but i really like the 97 far as programing wise both are really not a bad deal

CStarr59

I just bought a pro-164 and it is a great radio. I've never had a pro-97 so I can't compare them together. I asume they are very similar with the 164 being an upgraded model. The signal meter is very nice and the radio pulls in stations very well and scans fast. You really can't go wrong with either radio. Just my opinion but I prefer the looks of the pro-164 over the psr-300, I looked at both and they are the same radio with some minor changes.

SCPD

QRT
I took my 164 back and traded for a 97 two weeks after purchase and after I lost the ability to Trunk. However I do miss the signal bar meter, 700MHz (even though it was above Business 700) and the way the display looked showing various operations. Radio Shack does not have the firmware updates for the 164 that GRE is releasing for the PSR equivllant. Can't program LTR via Keypad.

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking at purchasing the 164. I have the Pro 97 and it is a great radio as far as im concerned. It has great speaker quality and is fairly easy to program (the Win97 is great). It's great that the Pro 164 is "rebandable" and firmware upgradable. I'm looking at possibly selling mey two (2) Pro96 and going for the PSR-500 if I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.