TRX-1: Another Whistler TRX 1 question

Windfarmer

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone on here ,I am having reception problems with my TRX1 one ,the reception indicator bars in the top left hand corner never go above one bar .I borrowed my friends TRX1 and it is programmed identical ,and his bars go all the way up to 6 ,so my question is is it something in antenna or a software issue ,and do you think it would be worth sending it back to Whistler to have it looked at ? Sorry for the long winded post

Windfarmer

Premium Subscriber
Yes I used my same antenna ,same result even while scanning his indicator bars bounce up and down .where as mine don't even come on.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Can you tell us exactly where you live, Hometown, County and State. Let us know exactly what system you're trying to pick up. We can look it up in the database. There are certain types of systems that suffer from simulcast distortion which your radio doesn't deal with well.

Windfarmer

Premium Subscriber
Shelby MT Toole County I got my data base from Radio Reference Site

pgates

Is the attenuator turned on? The TRX receivers allow you to set attenuation globally (every object) or, individually (per object.)

Windfarmer

Premium Subscriber
Yes I went through every setting in my friends TRX 1 and made them identical to mine

hightime

When you open the software program, go to Advanced Features tab. In the second column there are signal bar settings. Match your friends setting and both scanners should be the same. Mine are Bar 1-190, Bar 2 - 230, Br 3 - 260, Bar 4 - 290, and Bar 5 - 320.

Windfarmer

Premium Subscriber
Ok I will give that a try ,but do you think that should have effected the reception ? his will pick frequencies up way quicker than mine ?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
his will pick frequencies up way quicker than mine ?
There are many factors besides programming, one important factor is location, others include, but not limited to, scanner placement, any nearby interference (inside or out), and antennas (even if same) can vary.

Windfarmer

Premium Subscriber
I understand it just baffles me why one works perfect and the other one does not

TAbirdman

Swap SD cards and see if the problem goes with the card or stays with the unit. If it goes with the SD card, then you know its programming. If the issue stays with the radio, then its the radio is the problem

tvengr

Well Known Member
When you open the software program, go to Advanced Features tab. In the second column there are signal bar settings. Match your friends setting and both scanners should be the same. Mine are Bar 1-190, Bar 2 - 230, Br 3 - 260, Bar 4 - 290, and Bar 5 - 320.
Ok I will give that a try ,but do you think that should have effected the reception ? his will pick frequencies up way quicker than mine ?
The bar sensitivity setting has no effect on the sensitivity of the receiver. That is just for calibration of the metering. Was your scanner dropped or next to a transmitter that was keyed up? A receiver problem will cause the low bar indication. Since you swapped SD cards between the scanners, and the problem remains, that is an indication of a scanner problem. Does your SD card work OK in the other scanner?

Windfarmer

Premium Subscriber
I do not recall it being dropped and yes the SD card works in the other scanner ,I purchased it of eBay in 21 and had it programmed by my friend and thought it was all they were capable of till my friend gave me his to try and I saw the difference between the 2 radios ,so long story short an expensive lesson learned

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
I cannot help too much being the radio is not actually here in my hands. But I can tell you my situation which may help. I have three TRX-1's. The first one I purchased new, the second I obtained from Whistler as a scratch and dent. The last one I purchased used. Well, the third I noticed right away that the receive was about 20db worse than the other two. This was using a radio test set as the input, so antenna, programming , and any other external situations are eliminated in the comparison. I lived with it for a year or so. I am a radio tech, but without a schematic and parts list ect..., it isn't very easy to fix something. So I could have just lived with it but I am a signal perfectionist and decided to send it in for repair.
So a little info for you on my experience with regards to that.
I notified Whistler Support and "John" gave me a few suggestions what to try, similar to what others suggested here. After I gave him more info, he agreed that there is a hardware issue with the radio and gave me the info on sending it back. For shorts, it is $120 flat rate including return shipping. There is a form on their website that I highly recommend you fill out and print it and send it with your radio. Total turn around time was just under 1 month. Radio is perfect now equal to my other two TRX-1's.
Bob