• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Ant jack cap for HT1000 w P/S spkr-mic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otis413

I got my new speaker-mic for my HT1000 today, it has the antenna jack on the mic but the setup leaves the antenna SMA jack on the radio open to the weather.. Since I plan to use this while riding my mc, I need it to be as water resistant as possible.

Did the company ever make a "dust cap" to seal off the the jack and surrounding area? I did some googleing but didn't find anything. If you know of anything, please post!

In the meantime I found something that would work, tho not water proof, it should help.

It's a ford interior trim fastener that was used through the 80s, I happened to have a few in my garage. I trimmed the length down so it wouldn't hit on the pin in the center, and trimmed the "teeth" down a little so it could be inserted and removed easily. Fits purdy good!

2h6yt1v.jpg

wak5e9.jpg

eBay add;
25 Ford 1981 on Door Trim Panel Clip Retainer Fastener N801925 s x mas Tree New | eBay

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
If you are using the Public Safety speaker microphone with a supported HT1000, you might want to order part number 3205514W01. This is the cover that should protect the antenna connector on the radio.

SCPD

QRT
As an alternative, you could leave the whip antenna in the radio. When you connect an RSM with an antenna on it, it disables the radio's onboard RF input and switches to the RSM antenna. Look at the side of the HT1000 accessory connector. Just below the top two gold contacts (those are RF signal and ground) there is a little pushbutton. The RSM engages this switch to change RF inputs to the radio.

photoguy2

If you are using the Public Safety speaker microphone with a supported HT1000, you might want to order part number 3205514W01. This is the cover that should protect the antenna connector on the radio.

That part # is for the accessory port cover. IE, where that PSM is connected. As for I as I know, /\/\ did not make an antenna cover.

To the OP, I used to use a black sma to bnc adapter I found on ebay. But that is not fully waterproof. Another option is like the above said, use a small ducky. I use a PSM to keep that antenna from digging in my ribs (as well as get it higher) and I use one of these. short ducky. I assume that that is a UHF ht1000. PSMs don't work well on VHF. I will give your trim thingy a look though.

Last edited:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1047 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Leave an antenna on the radio, that way when you disconnect the RSM you do not need to screw an antenna on, less wear and tear on the SMA connector.

fdscan

Good solution.

kayn1n32008 - While I personally would go with your suggestion, it's up to the OP. He probably wants that extra height. While it does seem kind of pointless at first... I've seen and heard many stories about that extra foot or two making a difference. Even experienced it for myself. Again, personally, I'd go with your suggestion just because I like it for those reasons, but the OP wants the extra height so it's his choice.

Nasby

$15.75. Dang. I've got a nice new one I'd sell for half that price..

Otis413

The main thing I had in mind for the rig was to use in on my motorcycle. Keep the radio itself inside my jacket and have the mic and antenna up on my right shoulder. I'm not shy of riding in the rain and getting wet.
This radio is UHF, but I plan to get a VHF model soon in order to use the local repeaters, my wife has agreed to study up and take her Tec license test. That way we could keep in touch on my daily commute.

I do like the idea of just getting another antenna, seal off the jack and save swapping one ant back and forth. The antennas are fairly cheap on eBay!!

Otis, KD8VBV

photoguy2

First, open or closed helmet? I'm not sure that even a public safety quality mic will be loud enough to reliably hear. IMHO you have 2 options. You will notice that neither of my suggestions include using your brand spanking new PSM;-). My impression was that you just wanted to use the radio to talk motorcycle to motorcycle on FRS. First, the mic will not work well with VHF. They really only work well on 700/800/900 MHZ. They can work decently on UHF. Second, the stubby pic on the PSM will not cut it for HAM repeaters. Either way you are going to need a better antenna. I would suggest at least a high gain duck like the Diamond RH77CA or Pryme RD-98 (My favorite). Even better would be a mobile antenna on your cycle.

Option 1. Get a non public safety speaker mic, and get an earpiece. My suggestion is the PMMN4045A. Which is water-resistant, wind noise canceling, and a 3.5mm jack for an earpiece. They go for around $40 on ebay. Listen only earpieces can be had for $10-$15.

Option 2. Get a helmet kit. They can be expensive, but all the HAMs on the local repeters will thank you for it. And, you will hear much better as well.

Happy Motorcycle mobileing!

Matt
KJ6PNN

Otis413

I had heard that they didn't work as well on VHF, however I wasn't sure if that meant "a little loss" or "works like crap".
My wife (being like wives are) finally, after abt 15 years, talked me out of my turtle shell "helmet" (helmet in the loosest sense of the word) and got me an open face DOT helmet.
I thought about the MC helmet kits, I just wasn't sure just what kind of adapters I'd need. It would prob be worth the investment.

I got the PS spkr/mic new for only $10, so I'm not out much if I don't use it. (It is loud tho..)

I'll look into the helmet kits.

Otis413

They are somewhere in between. Although, from my experience, closer to the "Works like crap" ;-)

Glad you are now wearing a better helmet. Here is what a quick serch on 409shop (a good website) came up with.

1 x Motocycle helmet headset+ Mini Din Plug 44-K - 409SHOP LIMITED (HK) 2-way Radio Earpiece accessory Wholesale

With this adapter.
Mini DIN Plug 44 HT Series for Moto HT1000 | eBay

Matt
KJ6PNN

That's not as expensive as I thought it'd be, the headset will even work with my Baofengs.

Otis, KD8VBV

Status
Not open for further replies.