Antarctica WAC Award

Status
Not open for further replies.

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
I just looking at the WAC rules on the ARRL website.
Apparently, the IARU does not require a contact from Antarctica for the WAC award.

I have seen several mentions of Amateur radio staions at McMurdo and SouthPole Station.

I was just curious, has anyone ever earned WAC operating FROM McMurdo or some other base in Antarctica?

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
As big as their pile ups are when they actually get on the air, I would suspect yes, several times over.

When the sunspots were smiling it can be done in a day or two :)

I haven't operated from down there for several seasons- there's always a good book instead to be read-- but the last time I did, it really cured me from DX'ing on 20 metre's- the pile ups were something awesome. I easily worked all continents several times over in a few days.

Today I quickly satiate on DX'ing; If I operate its becuz I want to chat - something not so easy if half the world wants a "59, 73's, QRZ" contact. Fortunately the KC4 prefix has been do diluted down that if I say it fast enuff, with no emphasis at all on "Antarctica" - its slips by as just another KC4 in Florida.
(The US assigned calls are KC4US[plus anoth'r letter]- format. Saying that fast enuff, infrequently and on a frequency like above 14.300, and I can usually 'rag chew' below the radar :))

Something that many hams don't know about 'the ice' is that you don't have to be licensed to operate the stations. It can be puzzling for some to make a contact, ask about the equipment and receive a "its got knobs and lights......."

Lauri :sneaky:

Attachments

• 68a-2625-unq.jpg
    68a-2625-unq.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 51
Hee Hee.... no, hardly Florida :)

If you are looking for Antarctica 8O, good luck.... KC4's are on the air, but please keep in mind my operating techniques- unless you are one of those (illegal) kilowatt-pileup-busting stations- you are best to look for operators like me in the hinderlands-- 17 metre's is my favorite-- a pseudo- twenty metre band.

BTW. those rabid Plus Plus High power stations I ignore-- and if they get to be too obnoxious I switch bands, or go back to my book.
If I heard you, and I say this seriously, I would certainly make whatever efforts necessary to see your KC4 contact was confirmed .... :)

(hint 18.113 MHz :) )

Happy New Year's !!

Lauri :sneaky:

Status
Not open for further replies.