Antenex Phantom

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob1857

How good are these antennas....UHF and VHF....anybody have any expierence with them?

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
It's generally thought that the 800 & 900 versions are great, the UHF is pretty darn good, and the VHF is not quite as much. You just can't expect a 3" can to work as well as a fullsize VHF antenna.

For close range work, it should be fine. One of the guys has one on his company van, so I'll see what he thinks compaired to the 900 & higher versions.

bob1857

Thanks... thinking about a vhf and uhf purchase..like to actualy hear how they perform.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
I have generally seen the same thing posted here on RR. Expect great 800MHz performance, but only mild VHF performance. Try a "search" and see if some of the older threads are still around, you might be able to find some real-time users.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
I'm using a Phantom Elite (800mhz model) and it is a kick-ass antenna. It even does a decent job on the few UHF/VHF systems still in operation around here.

Swipesy

Antennex Phantom

I use the Antennex Phantom and cannot say enough good about it. Outstanding on 800, very good on 400; fair on 140-150; dead on 30's.

HT-220

WB2ZRP,WRTR873
work great on 800mhz and prefect if you don't want to mount it outside,
here's my install:

Attachments

• antenna.jpg
    antenna.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,528

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Hey Guys,
I had the Phanton 800mhz and was pretty darn good. One of my friends had a vhf and said it was NOT a good performer at all.
The vhf version can only do so much for so little.

jparks29

John McClane
very narrowband...SWR goes through the roof the second you get outside the rated bandwidth, and the MEG crap they give you is just that... crap... you're better off just getting a 'chrome dome' 1/4 wave.

the only thing I'd use phantom antenna's for is APRS or something similar,nothing "important"...

(800 mhz+ excluded, I have a 2.4ghz phantom on the way,for mobile wi-fi, I'll let you guys know how it goes)

car2back

Hey John, can you advise how that 2.4ghz antenna ended up working for you? I've been looking in to modding an Linksys USB adapter for an external antenna and using it in a mobile/vehicular application

Grog

Banned
The VHF Phantoms are junk.

Plain Junk!!

Do they fall apart? Ok, didn't think so.

They may not have the performance of the other bands but that does not make them junk, it just gives them the sort of performance you would realistically expect from a VHF antenna that is less than 4" tall.

pddispatcher

OK but why would anyone want to spend $50 bucks on a phantom antenna that can barely talk across a city when you can spend $10 bucks and get a 19" whip that works in some instances better than 5/8 wave antenna.

Sorry but some of our police cruisers have them and they are horrible.

Grog

Banned
OK but why would anyone want to spend $50 bucks on a phantom antenna that can barely talk across a city when you can spend $10 bucks and get a 19" whip that works in some instances better than 5/8 wave antenna.

Well one instance I can see is someone might need an antenna on top of a vehicle that only has 5" of clearance to park in a garage.

pddispatcher

Get a bigger garage or a smaller vehicle

They are worthless and not worth the plastic their shipped in.

Speaking VHF side only

Grog

Banned
Get a bigger garage or a smaller vehicle

So someone should get a bigger garage or get a smaller vehicle because of an antenna? Are you high?

They are worthless and not worth the plastic their shipped in.

It's a good thing the entire world does not agree with you :lol:

Remember, just because your radio system does not give you the coverage you think it should, it does not mean others have the same problem. Why are you using them? Were they chosen because of how they look and without any testing? Blaming an antenna because someone screwed up might make the person at fault feel better, but it still won't fix the problem of not choosing the correct tool for the job.

For what my needs are, I would not use one for VHF either. UHF/800/900/1900 looks like a good possibility but not VHF. Driving a white truck makes it easy for which color to choose from as well :D

pddispatcher

I'm just saying that those antennas lack in performance big time and I would not recommend them based on my experience with them on our police department

Good thing too because then there wouldn't be any arguments :)

I was asked and gave them my thoughts about this antenna and told them it would not be the best to either go with a simple 1/4 wave NMO or go with a 5/8 wave. They instead decided to purchase 15 or so of these and install them without testing or anything. We use a VHF repeater system with voting receivers in the North and South part of town - Our jail is 16 miles from our city in the central part of the county and the transmission has so much static on it its sometimes impossible to copy while at the same time a unit with just a 19" whip comes in clear or with very little static.

I know I'll never use one.

SLWilson

800 MHz

Thanks... thinking about a vhf and uhf purchase..like to actualy hear how they perform.

I have the 800 MHZ model. It IS great on that band, but, also does work OK on UHF in our area.

Steve/KB8FAR :)

N

N_Jay

Measuring antenna performance is not an easy thing.

Most casual antenna performance measurements are not worth much. (Hence the arguments about good vs. bad antennas)

Status
Not open for further replies.