Antenex Tuf Duck Portable Antenna / Uniden 396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowand

I received my 800-866 MHz, 4 inch Antenex Tuf Duck Portable Antenna for my 396XT this morning. I first saw this antenna on Scanner Master, so I logged on Tessco and ordered it. I removed the gaudy Radio Shack antenna, with adapter, and screwed on the Antenex and subsequently lost all 800MHz service. This antenna was a waist of my money.

I monitor the Nashville, TN Motorola system, and wanted to enhance my reception. I monitor at work on a signal fringe and can receive well from the computer room. I work on the opposite end of a county that touches Davidson County about 30 miles from the new Hermitage tower. I figured this antenna would give me a little extra reception since it does not require the adapter. I figured wrong.

So in a nut shell, the Antenex antenna did not work and I am stuck with the Radio Shack antenna with the Superflex coupler attached.

Have a nice day,
cowand

JLM7424

I must Say i have the Tuff Duck(Bnc w/sma Adapter) Vhf & Uhf I bought mine at a Motorola store Maybe thats the difference,
I use Both on a 396-T with great Reception have not tried the 800 i use the scannermaster sold
Sma 2.5 db gain professional quality one fo $30.00 i am right now sitting in my semi Truck 30 miles north
of Columbus ,OH and am using the 800/sma and picking up columbus pd quite well & Frankiln Co,OH S/0

See this one perhaps or visit A motorola Dealer tell them you want a 850-894 antenna
the one you got is Awfully Widebanded.

I Use the sma of this Model Hope this helps . 800 MHz 2.5db Gain Antenex Professional Portable Antenna

Matt .

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I received my 800-866 MHz, 4 inch Antenex Tuf Duck Portable Antenna for my 396XT this morning. This antenna was a waist of my money.

First off, if you ordered the 800-866, then you ordered the wrong model. You need the other model. This one has the center freq at about 833Mhz. Most trunks in the 800 band are around 850-860Mhz.

The one from scannermaster (the 4" and 8" models) work very well. I have them both.

The 4" model: EXC821SM - Antenex (Centurion) 821-902MHz SMA/Male Tuf Duck Antenna

The 8" model: EXE821SM - Antenex (Centurion) 821-902MHz SMA/Male Tuf Duck Antenna

The 8" model will actually bring you in a bit of signal but the 4" won't. If you're on the outer edge of the trunk then you'll want the 8" model. The 4" *should* work fine - but it might be a bit wiggy from time to time.

Last edited:

cowand

I appreciate that Nick! I will probably end up getting the 8" 2.5db gain antenna for fringe areas, and the shorty for stuff that is closer.

When I am in my vehicle I use a rooftop antenna from Larsen (VHF/UHF/800). I think that the SMA connector on the coax in the vehicle is not working for me, so I may wind up swapping to a BNC. It seems that everytime I swap antennas, I have to have the connector all the way on before it starts picking up. I mean like 1cm or less from all the way on before I get service.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's assistance!

-cowand

SCPD

QRT
Well, I think SMA is like that. I don't have my 396T handy to check, but I believe my antenna(s) have to be at last half-way screwed in before they "meet" the center pin.

I use a BCT-15 in my vehicle, so my NMO mount coax has a fixed BNC connector. BNC is good for mobile connections that are relatively permanent. I used a Larsen NMO825B on top of the SUV for a while but I kept hitting hard objects so I had to switch to a 1/4 wave. It's not perfect, but it's a good compromise.

I prefer SMA for portables. My past experience with BNC antennas hasn't been great - the constant on/off can be hard on the connector (or more accurately the upper housing of the connector.) Granted, a good quality antenna shouldn't have that problem.

John_M

The 800mhz antenna from RadioShack seems to perform the best. It beats the professional antenna from Scanner Master hands down.

SCPD

QRT
SMA vs BNC

I appreciate that Nick! I will probably end up getting the 8" 2.5db gain antenna for fringe areas, and the shorty for stuff that is closer.

When I am in my vehicle I use a rooftop antenna from Larsen (VHF/UHF/800). I think that the SMA connector on the coax in the vehicle is not working for me, so I may wind up swapping to a BNC. It seems that everytime I swap antennas, I have to have the connector all the way on before it starts picking up. I mean like 1cm or less from all the way on before I get service.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's assistance!

-cowand

While the SMA is a superior connector over the BNC, you can't connect and disconnect it a bunch of time before the center connector start to spread and get intermmitent. A BNC won't do that. If you have your heart set on swapping that radio in and out all the ime, I suggest you go get a SMA to BNC connector and leave it on the radio.

fmalloy

I'm thinking of the 2.5dB gain portable antenna, (or maybe the Radio Shack) for my BC346XT. However, I listen to 450MHz, and 150MHz systems as well as the 800MHz trunked system. Would the performance be worse on the other two bands than my stock Uniden rubber duck? If so, is there an all-band antenna that would perform better than the stock?

fmalloy

Just ran across this on ebay. This is the 8" long one for 821-902mhz. $4.99 + $4 shipping.

Antenna 821-902 MHZ Antenex EX821SM with Male SMA NEW - eBay (item 230545967124 end time Dec-02-10 08:07:12 PST)
Hey Raven95150 -

Thanks for the link! I bought this, received it today, and am getting improved reception of 800MHz trunked signals on my Uniden 346XT. And, for only $5USD (+ shipping from Canada) instead of the $30 from everyone else.

Great tip - it is much appreciated!

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.