• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Antenna Adapters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve

Are there any antenna adapters for M-PAs and M-RKs that let you attach a BNC connector?
I have 2 M-PAs and 2 M-RKs that I would like to use in my car without buying a "convert a com" style set-up. I saw something that probably would work but the price was "too body parts" for me. Any assistance or information would be welcomed

Steve
KD4LCY
KAF9087

rmiles

Steve said:
Are there any antenna adapters for M-PAs and M-RKs that let you attach a BNC connector?
I have 2 M-PAs and 2 M-RKs that I would like to use in my car without buying a "convert a com" style set-up. I saw something that probably would work but the price was "too body parts" for me. Any assistance or information would be welcomed

Steve
KD4LCY
KAF9087

Yes there is. Part Number 19B801496G2 RF Antenna Adapter. However, last time I checked, M/A-Com was selling them for $85.00 each! Oddly enough, you can purchase the EVC (convert-a-com) off eBay for less than half that. I have EVC's and the 19B801496G2 antenna adapter for both M-PA & M-RK's and I sell them for reasonable amounts. PM or email me if you'd like details on purchasing.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I've had prototypes made of a lower cost alternative adapter. Rather than screw into the
radio's antenna jack, it replaces the antenna jack completely and provides a BNC connection.

It's meant to give a more accurate power reading and more direct connection to the
antenna launch contacts. It could be permanently installed if you wanted to go that route,
and that would be particularly useful for VHF or UHF radios that might be used with
external antennas or external power amplifiers.

Target price is 25 bucks each if I can get them made in small production runs.
Versions will be made for M-PA/M-PD radios, Jaguars, and 7100/5100 series radios.

They're not available as of yet but I do have working prototypes that I use a lot. They
work quite well.

Elroy

Steve

rmiles,

Thanks for the information. That the price I found also. I will ponder the idea and contact you. My 96 Olds Cutlass doesn't have the room I would like but it is the vehicle I have so now the figuring out the mounting options starts.

Steve
KD4LCY
KAF9087

MDFR_TCOMM

BNC Adapter ???

Elroy, correct me if I'm wrong - You have "working prototypes" of a BNC bulkhead connector terminated on a similar manner like the PCS, onto MPA's/MPD's and Jaguar platform?

I have done this before, not only on GE products, but on other manufacturers, and you must emphasize that this modification is not for the novice, if you want to do it right. Thus by doing this, the factory antenna WILL NOT work, but the great thing BNC antennas are a dime a dozen.

I used to do a similar BNC mod on MRK's and they worked awesome.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
The adapter I've successfully prototyped, and which aren't difficult to make, are direct screw-in replacements for the radio's own antenna jack. On all radios except the 5x00/7x00 series radios, you simply unscrew the radio's antenna jack (a quarter works well for
engaging the drive slot) and replace it with the adapter I make, and on the 5x00/7x00 radios
the procedure is the same but you have to first loosen the setscrew at the rear of the
housing at the antenna boss, with a .050" allen wrench.

It doesn't require you to be technically competent. Any novice can handle it.

The adapters are made from a modified original antenna jack from the radio, and a BNC socket. It takes some lathe work and some soldering work to fit it all together.

Elroy

Status
Not open for further replies.