Antenna advice for my first HF rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

fullpwr5675

Premium Subscriber
Ham newbie here with a previous background in rf,well my first HF rig is on its way, a old Icom IC-735 and if it arrives in one piece and the seller didn't sell me a hunk of problems I can't wait to use it (I of course realize I can't do much but cw on a couple of bands with my tech class,which cw I am still learning)but can't wait to listen and learn,here is my dilemma I live on the 4th floor of an apartment builing (with 1 floor above,I have a 10 ft wide balcony facing north and a thin row of trees that are about 10 ft above my level 75 ft away and high tension lines running east to west 800 ft away,I realize this is a horrible situation for any band ,I get pretty good distance with my vhf and uhf of course east to west and north with my existing radios/scanners antennas but of course the south is hampered by the builiding being behind it,I know those low frequencies like to bounce but maybe they will bounce a bit in my favor,I obviosly can't run a 100ft dipole and no I can't move anytime soon,aside from taking it mobile and hanging a antenna,any suggestions for pulling in as much as I can?

thanks

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Option 1. Put up a ten meter dipole. Cheap, easy, and 10 meters is a great band for beginners. You have SSB privileges on part of the band, and there's a TON of activity. I know a number of technician class hams that are perfectly happy working nothing but 10 meter SSB.

Option 2. Put up whatever you can in the way of an open wire fed dipole, and use an antenna tuner. Autotuners can work pretty well. A balanced antenna reduces the requirement for a really good earth ground. Depending on it's length, you may find that it works just fine on multiple bands. A 10 meter-sized dipole could easily load up on 15 meters, and maybe even 40 meters with the right tuner, and lucky guesses with the length of the dipole.

Option 3. Get roof access, and put up a larger open-wire fed dipole.

I strongly advocate a balanced antenna, because it substantially reduces the requirement for a good earth ground - which you're not going to get on the 4th floor.

D00D

What type of trees are 75' away? Something you with clear branches you can sling a line over? If so I'd probably be tempted to run a small gauge wire (#18 or smaller) from a balun to the tree. Use fishing line to raise the tree end of the wire and you'll run less of a risk of it being seen. This is the same reason for using the small wire in the first place.

fullpwr5675

Premium Subscriber
unfortunately there is a driveway and carports between me and the trees and someone will definitely spot a line going across no matter what the size,just a bad spot all around for this hobby,I've been looking into the antenna tuners and artificial grounds,so when I have the money I guess thats gonna be another investment,obviously don't want to do any transmitting until I get some kind of balanced setup,maybe I'll at least get to do some cw or chewing with the locals

D00D

Bummer. You might try a portable vertical attached to the balcony railing or mounted on a tripod. Just throw a radial over the balcony and pull it back up when you're done.

Super Antennas MP-1
2349a.jpg

Blue Star Antennas P1

fullpwr5675

Premium Subscriber
yeah I may give that a try, anything going up can't really be very long (because the units above are offset) and would be transmitting and visible into their living room window (gonna have to operate at lower power levels because of the possible proximity to people if I drop a line at night or something)but I guess I'll figure it out and do what I can with the situation but thanks for the advice

wichitagreg

Premium Subscriber
You didn't say you were forbidden from putting a wire into the trees. If you can find out who owns them, get permission. Toss a wire up and go for broke.

You can also use your computer to do CW and other digital modes. Get Ham Radiol Deluxe and a USB keyer from K7EL and have fun!

Even a Slinky works well on 40 meters, just turn the power down and play at QRP with a simple whip and small tuner.

And don't forget the helical loop antenna: http://www.nonstopsystems.com/radio/slinky8.pdf

Last edited:

APTN

Option 1. Put up a ten meter dipole. Cheap, easy, and 10 meters is a great band for beginners. You have SSB privileges on part of the band, and there's a TON of activity. I know a number of technician class hams that are perfectly happy working nothing but 10 meter SSB.

Option 2. Put up whatever you can in the way of an open wire fed dipole, and use an antenna tuner. Autotuners can work pretty well. A balanced antenna reduces the requirement for a really good earth ground. Depending on it's length, you may find that it works just fine on multiple bands. A 10 meter-sized dipole could easily load up on 15 meters, and maybe even 40 meters with the right tuner, and lucky guesses with the length of the dipole.

Option 3. Get roof access, and put up a larger open-wire fed dipole.

I strongly advocate a balanced antenna, because it substantially reduces the requirement for a good earth ground - which you're not going to get on the 4th floor.

I second a dipole. You can buy one or build it yourself.

k9rzz

A 10 meter dipole would be great in the summer when there's a chance at E skip openings, but with winter coming it's going to be dormant. Try for some sort of wire, outside if possible. Maybe even just drop one straight down from your window when you operate, and reel it back in when you're done. An indoor wire run around the room will work too. Add a cheap antenna tuner with an SWR bridge and you're good to go on all bands. Welcome aboard HF ! Keep us posted.

D00D

Try for some sort of wire, outside if possible. Maybe even just drop one straight down from your window when you operate, and reel it back in when you're done...Add a cheap antenna tuner with an SWR bridge and you're good to go on all bands.
I've made 90% of my contacts with nothing more than a piece of #14 wire in a L configuration through my yard. You can do a lot with a piece of wire.

fullpwr5675

Premium Subscriber
I've got a (trimmable 40 to 6 meter dipole/balun kit) for 20 bucks,think i'm gonna make an inverted v with it (using some kind of plastic rod or pvc running horizontally to the lead bottoms to give it form and hang it from the center from the overhead of my balcony)think i'm gonna have enough space to trim it to 15m) then save up for a mfj articial ground/tuner and hope for the best

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Just Google "stealth antenna" and you'll get more ideas than you need, surely one or more will suit you to a T. Switching to sarcasm mode; when it comes to antennas, if you have to buy it you're not a ham. (;->)

N1BHH

Don't buy an antenna for $300 when you can build one for far less. Manufactured antennas just take money out of your pocket that can be spent wisely elsewhere. Build a dipole, a loop or something else and you'll get more enjoyment out of your ham radio experience. You really don't need a whole lot of wire in the air, 10 and 12 have had a bit of activity of late. I just bought a Ranger RCI-2950DX and have been having fun with my wire antenna (40 meter extended double zepp) that I built and erected, working the world. A simple home built dipole will do the job. Keep it simple.

Stealth antennas do quite a good job. I was living in an apartment building that had no trees at all around but I had a 60 foot wire that worked for me and never even though of buying something. I would rather build it myself.

CalebATC

I am using a 40 meter fan-dipole. It's second fan under the 40 is a ten meter dipole, connected to the center insulator. Works GREAT! No need to have an antenna tuner, I have a SWR less than 1.6 across all of 10 meters. I am actually borrowing this radio from a friend, along with the antenna. After I get some wire, I am going to make a 80, 40, 10 meter dipole. And later, buy a good tuner. BTW- I am studying for my General, go, you can do it too! I am looking at a IC-735 also, to get rid of the tube radio and give it back to my friend.

Anyway, dropping a dipole out the window might not be the best- you don't want one of your neighbors going "Hey, look at this wire (touches it) YOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCHHHHHHHHHH!!!! That burns!" :)

D00D

Anyway, dropping a dipole out the window might not be the best- you don't want one of your neighbors going "Hey, look at this wire (touches it) YOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCHHHHHHHHHH!!!! That burns!" :)
Phhht. They'll only do it once. ;)

fullpwr5675

Premium Subscriber
yeah I was afraid of the tennants possibly touching/tampering with the wire if i dropped it.I got the dipole/balun kit yesterday was able to trim it to a 15m inverted v and hang/secure it decently from the balcony above mine,still waiting on the radio to arrive to test,just playing around with an old shortwave reciever I had i was impressed at some of the stuff I was pulling in,I guess we'll have to see how good of tx i get with it and get a tuner to go into other bands when I get my general

Status
Not open for further replies.