Antenna advice please ?.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

fires999

Good Morning Forum, wonder if you can help ?
I am looking to buy an antenna mount (motorised - Diamond K9000) and within the text it stated that the mount was only suitable for :

"......antennas that do not require direct RF grounding."

Can someone explain what the above statement means in respect of my use which is receiving only ?
Many thanks in advance,
Kevin (uk)

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
TLDR: For RX only, just use whatever antenna you want that covers the frequencies you wish to monitor. It should not be too heavy though, or the motorized mount may have trouble lifting and holding it in place while motoring. If you can position that mount in the middle of your vehicle roof it may help to some degree.

I use that motorized mount and a 114 cm long Diamond NR770HB antenna to TX / RX on the U.S. Amateur bands. That particular antenna is DC grounded and "does not require direct RF grounding". Typically an antenna is mounted directly onto the roof of a vehicle and that metal provides a ground plane. That K9000 motorized mount is not directly connected, so a DC grounded antenna is needed.

fires999

Hi Forum,
Apologies for delay in reply , busy on duty at work , especially being based at a USAF Base here in the UK , the Fire Dept has the best kitchens on Base and we held a Thanksgiving meal for everyone...boy do you guys like your food !!!! I still cant get used to having Turkey ,Ham , Mash potatoes and then Mac and Cheese !!!!
Anyway , thanks for those who read and those who replied - set up seems to be working great !!
Thanks again and " Happy Thanksgiving" to all those who participate.
Kev (Fire Dept USAF in UK)

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Hi Forum,
Apologies for delay in reply , busy on duty at work , especially being based at a USAF Base here in the UK , the Fire Dept has the best kitchens on Base and we held a Thanksgiving meal for everyone...boy do you guys like your food !!!! I still cant get used to having Turkey ,Ham , Mash potatoes and then Mac and Cheese !!!!
Anyway , thanks for those who read and those who replied - set up seems to be working great !!
Thanks again and " Happy Thanksgiving" to all those who participate.
Kev (Fire Dept USAF in UK)
Fire Dawgs like to eat well. No two ways about that. I'm glad you enjoyed the meal.

Status
Not open for further replies.