Antenna amplifier and splitter help

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnbound

Premium Subscriber
I am looking for a low cost amplifier and splitter to run my SDS200 and Uniden 996XT for milair on both VHF and UHF. Any suggestions would be great. Also if I put an amplifier at the antenna does it need a power source? I am using a Diamond D-130 which I have been happy with for quite a while. I am feeding it with 50 feet of I believe it is RG -6 but I can't remember for sure. It is about 1/2 inch wide and stiff. I need a boost to get some signals further out but I don't want to break the bank doing it.
Thanks in advance?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I bought a cheap LNA (low noise amp) of eBay a while back and it suited my needs. With that I used regulars splitters. They amount of voltage applied (9 - 12volts) can vary how much it amplifies. Some had bias t for mounting at the antenna. I used one like this as I was in an apartment with an indoor antenna. The amp I have

Now I have a discone up on the roof and use an Electroline EDA UG 2802 to feed 3 scanners and 5 sdr dongles.

Ubbe

50ft of RG6 doesn't attenuate much so will only improve slightly using amplifier. That recommended 32dB amp overloads easily. Look for a 20dB PGA103+ amplifier that can be powered either with an external power supply or from the coax, that will require a bias-T adapter. Get a standard $5 splitter and you will probably need to attenuate 12dB before the splitter to not overload your scanners. You will probably also need a FM broadcast filter. FM bandstop filter comparison | RadioReference.com Forums

/Ubbe

737mech

Premium Subscriber
First try an FM trap (A good one). I use the Electroline drop amps also the 8 port ones. If you don’t need 8 that’s fine just use load plugs on the remaining unused ports. Now the amps are F type like a tv. Get adaptors from F to N and use better coax like LMR-400. Lot’s of ways to solve your problem hope it works out?

tnbound

Premium Subscriber
I bought a cheap LNA (low noise amp) of eBay a while back and it suited my needs. With that I used regulars splitters. They amount of voltage applied (9 - 12volts) can vary how much it amplifies. Some had bias t for mounting at the antenna. I used one like this as I was in an apartment with an indoor antenna. The amp I have

Now I have a discone up on the roof and use an Electroline EDA UG 2802 to feed 3 scanners and 5 sdr dongles.
Thanks for the tip and I will check them out.

tnbound

Premium Subscriber
50ft of RG6 doesn't attenuate much so will only improve slightly using amplifier. That recommended 32dB amp overloads easily. Look for a 20dB PGA103+ amplifier that can be powered either with an external power supply or from the coax, that will require a bias-T adapter. Get a standard $5 splitter and you will probably need to attenuate 12dB before the splitter to not overload your scanners. You will probably also need a FM broadcast filter. FM bandstop filter comparison | RadioReference.com Forums

/Ubbe
Thanks I will check them out

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
I second the Electroline Splitters. I have been using them for years and they have always performed really well. I currently even piggy back one off the other because I went from 2 antenna's to 1 and it still works great.

tnbound

Premium Subscriber
Is there anyone that can post a picture of their amplifier setup with connectors so I can see what it looks like if used at the scanner and not at the antenna?

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Under my desk. B8D7E2F9-205A-4B71-AC63-F20A8AC60947.jpeg So antenna/ Belden 9913 coax to desk/ FM trap from Par Electronics/ VHF Trap 162 also from Par/Electoline drop amp EDA 2800/ f to n adaptors/ LMR-400 patch cables to scanners. Some have smaller patch cables rg-59.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.