Thanks

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Best bang for the buck is one of these:

Or the upgraded version if it comes back in stock:

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
Take a gander at the FA-VA5 over at www.sdr-kits.net. It is way better than any MFJ product!
I 100% agree. The FA-VA5 provides coverage to 600 MHz and has so many features built in. When used with a computer, it can provide a graph of any slice of spectrum within its 600 MHz range. The unit is completely self contained, including AA batteries which install inside. Using it with a computer will power the unit via the USB connection. It is a kit, a small amount of assembly is required but should be no issue for most. The unit comes with calibration loads which also require user assembly. I purchased the high precision loads which come fully assembled and pre-measured as to their inductive and capacitive values. These values can be entered in the menu of the analyzer for high accuracy.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
Basic question but do you need an amateur license to use one of these? I didn't know if any transmitting was involved.

Anyone happen to know what the price of the upgraded model is? I've been thinking of getting one of these but I do stuff up around 950MHz.

do you need an amateur license to use one of these?

No you do not..

The FA-VA5 provides coverage to 600 MHz and has so many features built in.

Yes it does and matter of fact I just built and tested a new antenna for OTA HDTV today which happens to have turned out much better than the "highly rated" store bought amplified POS I just tossed in the trash can...

Not to mention but before SDR-KITS had them I bought mine from Funk Amateur, then when it was shipped to me the shipper somehow let it get wet and also cracked the display.. Funk Amateur replied to my email that night and told me a new manual and display had been shipped... Somehow, from Germany, four days later I had it all working and testing antennas...
Now where would you get that kind of support from someone in China selling stuff on Amazon? Good luck with that!!!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The 600MHz upper limit is kind of a dealbreaker if you need to test at 900Mhz.

The 600MHz upper limit is kind of a dealbreaker if you need to test at 900Mhz.

Yes, you are correct with that statement but the OP of this thread is only speaking of an MFJ product and the FA-VA5 will be a much, much better product than MFJ will ever produce...

So, to drag it out since it's your thing to do...

Now, in my opinion.. and suggestion to the commenter: JoshuaHufford (which should have been asked in his own thread) to reach 950MHz (1.3Ghz to be more precise) with confidence and product support that I don't see in many other products, comes from the guys that had a hand in the design of the FA-VA5 is the DG8SAQ VNWA 3 over at www.sdr-kits.net.

But wait, there's more....

Very well made and documented calibration kits to getter-done the proper way... (which you won't ever see from those Cheesiness analyzers)

And even more...

The ability to attach a GPSDO (let me spell that out for you: Global Positioning Satellite Disciplined Oscillator) to it and have the confidence that your frequency accuracy approaches 1x10-12)!!... Let me say that if you have to ask... You'd better go help Grandma with the dishes...

So sorry to disappoint you, but no, your Cheesiness analyzer doesn't even come close and is why it's only $69.95 with free shipping from China on Amazon... So if you are so hell bent in wasting your $69.95 on an inaccurate child's toy without support - but hey, it does include this cool plastic unshielded case for free!!, who am I to stop you...

Now, may normal scanning finally resume???

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The ability to attach a GPSDO (let me spell that out for you: Global Positioning Satellite Disciplined Oscillator) to it and have the confidence that your frequency accuracy approaches 1x10-12)!!... Let me say that if you have to ask... You'd better go help Grandma with the dishes...
I'm familiar with the term; the GPS modules I install in scanners happen to have the ability to output a disciplined oscillator frequency.

You don't need 10^-12 accuracy for tuning an antenna, since thermal expansion and contraction of the antenna will be in the 10^-5 ΔK range anyway. Anything better than 10^5 accuracy is overkill in the real world for that application.

For a service monitor being used to align a 900MHz radio to ensure it's on frequency, sure, 10^-12 accuracy makes sense. But we're talking about an antenna analyzer here, not a service monitor.

Any idea where the program can be found ?

www.sdr-kits.net

But we're talking about an antenna analyzer here

Yup.. but then a VNA is more than just an antenna analyzer and with the VNA that you suggested that can be had a a super low price of just $69.95, I thought you'd know that... I'll admit I was wrong with that assumption..

I'm out.. this just isn't worth the time with you jon..

Scan on...

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I'm just pointing out that for some applications, spending 10x the money on a tool doesn't necessarily add enough value to justify the additional cost. If that bothers you, oh well.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
Yes, you are correct with that statement but the OP of this thread is only speaking of an MFJ product and the FA-VA5 will be a much, much better product than MFJ will ever produce...

So, to drag it out since it's your thing to do...

Now, in my opinion.. and suggestion to the commenter: JoshuaHufford (which should have been asked in his own thread) to reach 950MHz (1.3Ghz to be more precise) with confidence and product support that I don't see in many other products, comes from the guys that had a hand in the design of the FA-VA5 is the DG8SAQ VNWA 3 over at www.sdr-kits.net.

But wait, there's more....

Very well made and documented calibration kits to getter-done the proper way... (which you won't ever see from those Cheesiness analyzers)

And even more...

So sorry to disappoint you, but no, your Cheesiness analyzer doesn't even come close and is why it's only $69.95 with free shipping from China on Amazon... So if you are so hell bent in wasting your $69.95 on an inaccurate child's toy without support - but hey, it does include this cool plastic unshielded case for free!!, who am I to stop you...

Now, may normal scanning finally resume???

Well excuse me, I didn't think my questions were that off topic that it warranted a new thread, especially considering one of my questions was related to an upgraded model of unit mentioned in a previous post in this thread.

I've seen threads go MUCH more off topic than this one on this forum without complaint.

W5lz

The common similarity is they are both made by MFJ and they will fail prematurely. You might look at the Comet CAA-500 or even one of the cheap Chinese analyzers will work better and last longer.

I'm afraid you're mistaken. MFJ gear does very well in most cases. The cases where they fall short is usually because of the operator not knowing what the thing is capable of to start with, unrealistic expectations. Yes, I have had an MFJ device 'quit' before. After contacting MFJ I was told what the problem was and how to fix it, or, the option of sending it back. In my case, it was a simple part replacement (29 cent resistor). I figure that wasn't bad for a 6 - 8 year old thingy.

prcguy

I've owned an amount of MFJ stuff over the years and everything, every single item I have ever owned with an MFJ badge broke prematurely incuding 259Bs. I decided about 20yrs ago to never buy anything made by MFJ and my life has bee sweeter since.

I used to joke that MFJ products were made by toothless inbreds from a particular state, but associating them with MFJ would be a greater insult. So I don't tell that joke any more.

I'm afraid you're mistaken. MFJ gear does very well in most cases. The cases where they fall short is usually because of the operator not knowing what the thing is capable of to start with, unrealistic expectations. Yes, I have had an MFJ device 'quit' before. After contacting MFJ I was told what the problem was and how to fix it, or, the option of sending it back. In my case, it was a simple part replacement (29 cent resistor). I figure that wasn't bad for a 6 - 8 year old thingy.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
We had one at the shop it worked for 9 months then became so far out of calibration it was not reliable and was always stored in a leather case. It showed a 5 to 1 SWR when the BIRD WATT METER showed 100 Watts Forward and 1/2 Watt Reflected not quite 5 to 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.