Antenna Analyzers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The NanoVNA units will cover that. They are relatively inexpensive and work 'well enough' for hobby use.
They have some annoyances, and I still prefer my Agilent unit, but in a pinch at home, the NanoVNA works well.

There are some good tutorials on the YouTubes on how to use them. There are also some bad tutorials, so watch a few and filter out the B.S.

Thanks guys. I guess this morning I must have been half asleep when searching. I'm seeing all kinds now. I really like the Nano units price wise. I'll look at some vids and make up my mind.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
They can be frustrating as hell to use if you have big fingers. If you buy one, get a stylus to go with it. It comes with a stupid little guitar pick looking thing that does't go a very good job.

My understand is that you can also hook them up to a Android cell phone (I think) and use that as the screen/interface. Never tried it myself and only recently migrated to an Android cell phone...

They can be frustrating as hell to use if you have big fingers. If you buy one, get a stylus to go with it. It comes with a stupid little guitar pick looking thing that does't go a very good job.

My understand is that you can also hook them up to a Android cell phone (I think) and use that as the screen/interface. Never tried it myself and only recently migrated to an Android cell phone...

Thanks for the advice. I use an Android. Always have. My wife has always had to have her Iphone. I hate the Iphone. Too much money for a little bitty screen.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks for the advice. I use an Android. Always have. My wife has always had to have her Iphone. I hate the Iphone. Too much money for a little bitty screen.

I migrated from an iPhone just recently. My employer pays for it, so I can pretty much get whatever I need. One of the perks of being on call 24x7.

But we're getting ready to build out a new radio system that will have integration with an app on mobile phones. I killed two birds with one stone by being the first person at work to migrate to FirstNet and also switching to a Sonim XP8 which has a PTT button on the side to make testing the LMR/LTE integration easier.
Bonus points: FirstNet gave me the XP8 for $0.99.

So far I like it, but after being on an iPhone for long time, it's taking a bit of time to adjust.

I'll need to hook up my NanoVNA to it and see how it looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.