• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Antenna and coax advice needed!

TN931

My lovely wife wants to get into CB radio. I have a Uniden Grant XL that we're looking to set up as a basestation. I have to be somewhat careful with antenna setup as we live in a POA. I was looking to get a Solarcon A-99 antenna and 50ft length of RG213 coax cable. My question is will all this wok correctly together? We really know very little about CB operation, thanks for any help!

dkcorlfla

The RG213 is a bit of overkill for CB frequency. Maybe consider RG8x instead, cost a little less and has a small 1/4 inch dia that makes it harder to see and easier to drill/mount for.

TN931

dkcorlfla, thanks for the info. My thought process was that the better the antenna and better the coax, the better her reception would be. I've seen posts that say you get better reception even on a lesser radio with better antenna. Just want to make sure the coax was good.

jcrmadden

What's the main difference(s) between RG8, RG58, and RG213? I'm assuming there's a way to 'cipher the designations?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What's the main difference(s) between RG8, RG58, and RG213? I'm assuming there's a way to 'cipher the designations?

The difference is the amount of loss in the cable. All conductors have some amount of loss in them. As length goes up, losses go up. As frequency goes up, so does the losses. Figuring out how much loss you are willing to accept on your antenna system is something you need to decide. Less loss = more money.

You can use online tools like this to approximate how much loss different coaxial cables will have at different frequencies and lengths:

Compare the information from that calculator to your budget and you'll find the answer.

jcrmadden

So I ran through all the different coax options in the loss calculator. For CB frequencies and short runs it seems like loss differences are negligible. But across a 50ft run like the original post references they really start to add up. @TN931 you may have already done the same, but if not here are some approximate output loss percentages I came up with for common coax...

RG8X (17.5%)
RG58 (21.7%)
RG213 (12.2%)

I ran those calculations at 100watt output to make percentages easy to figure. I'm not sure what the Grant XL puts out, but losing 12.2% sounds better than losing 17.5%. Also, I ran that in the middle of the band so it's roughly "average".

Looks like what you REALLY want is Andrew Heliax LDF6-50 (1.6% loss), but to @mmckenna's point that may not be practical (or budget friendly). You should look at the price for terminal ends just for holy ****(s) and giggles. Line itself is "call for price" so you know it's scary.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Looks like what you REALLY want is Andrew Heliax LDF6-50 (1.6% loss), but to @mmckenna's point that may not be practical (or budget friendly). You should look at the price for terminal ends just for holy ****(s) and giggles. Line itself is "call for price" so you know it's scary.

Not practical on many levels, not just cost.

Truth is, it's a hobby, and most users won't notice a dB of loss. Much more fun to do the best you can with what your budget allows.