Antenna BNC CONNECTOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmurphy41

Premium Subscriber
My BNC connection on my TRX1 is loose and I'm getting poor reception. Is this an easy fix or should I send it in to whistler for repair. Will it cost a lot to fix? Anybody else had this problem? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

DJ11DLN

Is it under warranty? If so, this becomes a no-brainer, definitely send it back. If not, I'd probably try G&G Communications rather than Whistler, and specify a full-circle BNC connector, which is more durable than the cheap spade-type all scanners come from the factory with.

As far as difficulty level...only you know how good your skills are. There was a time when I would have tied into such a repair without a second thought. Nowadays...hands aren't as steady as they once were, eyesight also not what it was even with corrective lenses, and the parts are a lot smaller now. I'd just call G&G, they have a very good reputation on here, for both quality work and reasonable prices.

But you may be capable of doing the work...you'll have to judge for yourself.

NC1

I wish everything were as easy as replacing a BNC connector. I would open it up and see if the pads for the connector are the size you could desolder/solder comfortably.

If there is small circuitry around it, take out about 4 pages of newspaper and tear a hole in it about the size of where you will be working. Lay it over the board and have the area you need to be visible. This will keep any "oops" drips from falling on the circuit board and shorting anything out.

That was a quick tip from my uncle when I was a beginner and learning to solder. The first time I dropped a small blob of solder, I could see the wisdom in using the newspaper. Luckily I don't need to do that any more, LOL

He had me go into Radio Shack one time (early 70's) and ask the salesman for a desoldering iron. They all thought that was funny. ;)

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
Like others have said, if it's still warranteed, send it back. If it's not and can afford it, send to someone. If you can't afford it, you can fix it yourself if you know how to solder and are comfortable potentially destroying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.