Antenna cable length

Status
Not open for further replies.

Earwave

Hello all.I am a newbie here and new to scanning also.I am purchasing my first scanner this coming week(bcd996xt).It will be used as a base unit mostly.I am trying to decide on a broadband roof mount antenna and got to thinking about cable length.Is there a limit on the length of the antenna cable that you can use before it starts degrading the signal? Would a 50 foot cable carry the signal better than a 300
foot cable?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It's not just the length, the frequency of operation and the construction of the cable also contributes to signal loss. Here's a chart with various type of cable, and their loss per 50 and 100 foot run...

Coax Cable Loss

In general, a good quality RG6 variety or 9913 are preferred. The higher in freq you go, the more cable loss becomes an issue 73 Mike

benbenrf

Thanks guys.The chart was very imformative.I had an idea that length would effect it,but to what extent,I wasnt sure.you're correct,shorter is better.

General rule (for scanning frequencies) ... the shorter the coax and thicker the diameter, the less the loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.