BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Antenna Change comment

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2MB

Today I received an antenna that I ordered from eBay last week that cost a hefty $9.00 shipped. It is a Nagoya NA-701 with SMA male connector spec'd to receive 120/150/300/450/900 mHz. I installed it on my BCD436HP. The fit is perfect and it's about 2" longer than the supplied antenna. My un-scientific analysis suggests a noticeable improvement in receive signal quality compared to the antenna supplied with the scanner. Your results may vary...

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The Diamond RH77CA is a better overall performer. I have a bunch of the Nagoyas on my Baofengs--they perform well in those bands.

W2MB

Also, the 701 is only speced out for 2M/70CM, not other bands.

The specs I quoted are from the package sleeve, I should have noted those were listed as "receiving only", The prominent wording on the sleve is"144/430 MHz Dual Band Flexible Whip Handheld Antenna". Note that there is no easy way of telling whether or not any product purchased from China is legit or counterfeit, whether it is high-end Kenwood land-mobile equipment or low end antennas, they have it down to a science and most come off of the same production facilities... Just the cost of doing business with China....

FuzzyTexan

I'm considering the Watson 801 regular gainer. I just don't want a 16 in antenna.

Fidgety9996

The Diamond RH77CA is a better overall performer. I have a bunch of the Nagoyas on my Baofengs--they perform well in those bands.

I agree this is great antenna. Although stay away from fake antennas. There are lot of offers when i reported them back to japan they stated they are 100% fake just by seeing the photos of it in the package.

garys

Premium Subscriber
There's no way to tell is you are buying on Ebay. If you go to the Baofang website, they have a direct link to Amazon where you can buy the genuine product.

Nagoya, who is the actual manufacturer seems to have attracted an inordinate number of "admirers" who are selling counterfeit product.

The specs I quoted are from the package sleeve, I should have noted those were listed as "receiving only", The prominent wording on the sleve is"144/430 MHz Dual Band Flexible Whip Handheld Antenna". Note that there is no easy way of telling whether or not any product purchased from China is legit or counterfeit, whether it is high-end Kenwood land-mobile equipment or low end antennas, they have it down to a science and most come off of the same production facilities... Just the cost of doing business with China....

W2MB

I found this and still can't tell with certainty. 『latest updatedã€How to identify the genuine and fake antenna?

Counterfeiting is a huge problem in China, as I mentioned, some of the stuff is coming off of the same lines.... As I mentioned, Kenwood recently had an issue with high end land mobile radios being counterfeited. Their solution was to apply a small holographic sticker to the circuit board. Apparently those stickers were highly controlled.

Status
Not open for further replies.