Antenna choice for ic5100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aircargo

Premium Subscriber
Well...been few weeks with tram dual band mag mount on roof. Hits ALL the repeater or mainly mine WELL. I’ve spoken even to Japan never mind in state and pa. I’m located by Newark Nj airport.
Anyway doing that I got the DIAMOND X50A base coming we’d by mail...it’s 5 1/2 feet tall it’ll be over roofline by 5 feet. Roofs about 50 ft. So this antenna will sit decently high
Question is....will it make big difference Compared to the 38 inch mag mount whip up there now?
txs in advance all......

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It certainly should.

The 38" antenna sounds like it's probably a dual band VHF/UHF, half wave on the VHF side and colinear on the UHF side. Without a good ground plane, that antenna will give you 0dB gain on the VHF side. UHF will be higher. Magnetic mounts use capacitive coupling to the metal under them, but it's not as efficient as a permanent mount.
The X50 will have some gain, so that should improve your signal a bit.

And depending on the coax for the mag mount, you should upgrade to something a bit higher grade for the X50, that'll help performance by getting more signal to/from your antenna. Always a good thing.

Aircargo

Premium Subscriber
received antenna,wall mounts,....rg8+. went out bought conduit 1 1/4 by 10ft at homedepo today so.... ill get pic after its put up. yes...couple people on the air told/advised i needed metal under the mag mount. i was just waiting to get everything for roof. ill use mag mount for car......

W5lz

Two parts to that mag-mount and metal thingy. The magnet needs a ferrous metal under it so it will 'stick' to it. The antenna could certainly use a counterpoise/radials so it can work correctly. So, do both.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Two parts to that mag-mount and metal thingy. The magnet needs a ferrous metal under it so it will 'stick' to it. The antenna could certainly use a counterpoise/radials so it can work correctly. So, do both.

If you read the original post, you'll see that he purchased a Diamond X50 dual band base antenna. That's the antenna he's talking about.

W5lz

Still applies. The counterpoise/radial thing also uses the metal the mag-mount attaches to as part of it's self, or the counterpoise. It's always better to have more than needed than not enough. In either case, the antenna will have to be adjusted to it's mounting conditions (probably).

Status
Not open for further replies.