Antenna choices?

Ghostnotes

As you can see I do not have very much room in my backyard, and no trees. I have just enough room to maybe build a 20 or 40 meter half wave. And for the moment, I have to abide to my wife's objection to what she calls "stringing up a clothesline". So,it looks like I'm going vertical. I don't know what is good, okay or stay away from. After searching around I came across DXE-HSR-6BTV-P2. I could probably just fit my radials on the left side of the backyard area. Problem is, I do not know if this is a good antenna as opposed to........ Or if there are any other choices that are equal or better than this. I like the idea of a multi band and in the near future i will probably be able to convince the boss to let me build a 10,20,40.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-18 161107.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-08-18 161107.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 24

K4EET

Chaplain
Premium Subscriber
Hi @Ghostnotes,

Do you have any Home Owner Association (HOA) restrictions?

I have the Cushcraft R9 vertical which needs to be installed 10 feet above ground level (AGL) but requires no ground radials. The antenna is designed as an End-Fed Half-Wave (EFHW).

It is a lot of aluminum way up in the air which is why I asked about any HOA restrictions.

73, Dave K4EET

John_S

Premium Subscriber
Don't feel alone when it comes to limited space. As a 3rd floor apartment dweller, I've learned to make the best of it. I've found some inspiration from a couple of Youtubers...Walt, K4OGO...Coastal Waves & Wires and Tim, G5TM. Both have some very useful info on limited space set ups. Walt's off center fed verticals are quite useful and don't need any radials. A 28' or 31' telescoping fiberglass pole, some wire and coax, and the necessary balun/unun can make for some reasonably priced fun. An antenna analyzer is also helpful along with some patience regarding band conditions...they've been pretty crappy at times lately.

Ghostnotes

Hi @Ghostnotes,

Do you have any Home Owner Association (HOA) restrictions?

I have the Cushcraft R9 vertical which needs to be installed 10 feet above ground level (AGL) but requires no ground radials. The antenna is designed as an End-Fed Half-Wave (EFHW).

It is a lot of aluminum way up in the air which is why I asked about any HOA restrictions.

73, Dave K4EET
At 40+ feet and the way my elevations are, I think the HOA will try to cry about it.The practical mounting areas, which are around my peaks are almost 40ft themselves. They usually leave me alone when I make changes/improvements. I usually don't ask. I look at their requirements and specifications and tell them what I am doing. They don't like it, but as long as I follow them...

I understand most all antennas have tradeoffs. What they are exactly between makes and models I am getting a small handle on, but I think the hustler will be a good start for me.

Soooooo, on that note I have the antenna in my cart along with a few other items I would like to run by the experts here to make sure there are no incompatibilities.
1. is 100ft of ultraflex Times Microwave Systems Bulk Coaxial Cables 54040
2. is Times Microwave Systems® Coaxial Connectors EZ-600-UM-X
3. I'm not 100% sure which lightning arrester/protector I should use. For the foreseeable future, I will only be using the 50/100w. 1.5-700MHz, HF 2kW, VHF??
No matter what, grounding is going to be a pain in the butt because my main ground rod is so far away. I'm just going to spread the ground away from the foundation, which is much easier than trenching around the house. Radials north to south will be about 18ft, east and west will be about 30ft. I could put it in the center of the big area, but that would be more trenching. I put my sprinkler system in a few years ago and the ground here is nothing less than rock hard.....it sucks.

Attachments

• Screenshot 3.jpg
    Screenshot 3.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 9

Ghostnotes

Also, I do plan on using the 991A in my F250. What would be a good antenna for that setup, and would the same antenna work for the house as well?

Thanks!

Ghostnotes

I answered my own question for the mobile antenna. I have the Pulse Larsen 144-148/440-450 MHz Dual Band 37.25" Antenna coming with a mag base.

Ghostnotes

Okay thanks.
At least I Feel safe I'm on the right track with what I'm reading. Going to pull the trigger on the rest now.
I'm getting high 80's and 90's avg on the technician course. I'm doing the online courses with the video and text. After I get through the rest, I'm going to go back and just do the Q&A and see how I do. Then onto the General.

K4EET

Chaplain
Premium Subscriber
<snip>
I'm getting high 80's and 90's avg on the technician course. I'm doing the online courses with the video and text. After I get through the rest, I'm going to go back and just do the Q&A and see how I do. Then onto the General.
Those scores show that you are really doing good with understanding and comprehending the material on the Technician Class test. That is fantastic! Keep us posted on your progress and ask questions if we can help explain anything.

73, Dave K4EET

Ghostnotes

I like to keep my installs as clean as possible....as everyone does of course. My Recording studio/gaming room and now/radio room is adjacent to an attic that leads out over my patio. I want to mount an "old work" box with a blukhead connector and steel plate (with the bulkhead isolated), and a ground stud.

I read the loss for this in the specs, but over all how noticeable will it be over straight through?