Antenna coax cable pass through an exterior wall recomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I need to run a few coax cables through the exterior wall of my home office. It's dry wall inside and brick outside. My concern is the insulation. I have that pink woolly stuff that likes to catch on a drill bit and spin it up into a ball inside the wall, destroying the insulation properties and sometimes makes it almost impossible to remove the drill bit. I learned this the hard was when I was running cable for security cameras.

What's the best way to overcome this? Do you just run the cable through the wall or do you use some type of bulkhead with coax connectors?

Thanks!

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
Drill the drywall hole first. Insert a sleeve cut to the required length from rigid copper tubing and use it as a guide for the drill bit to drill the outer hole. Use enough length to have something to hold onto indoors with pliers but short enough that the bit can make the trip outside.

prcguy

I would locate where both the inside and outside hole will land and make sure there is no stud or other obstruction. Then drill the brick from outside first with a masonry bit pointing slightly upwards to avoid water flowing into the hole. Then I'll stick a long thin pointed object from the outside in to poke a tiny hole in the inside drywall to locate the straight through path where I'll drill through just the drywall from the inside going out and not any further in to avoid grabbing insulation.

I usually install a low voltage electrical frame thing like this that will hold a cover plate with a hole for the coax to pass through or you can get a metal plate and mount a dual female chassis connector for a clean looking antenna outlet. Carlon 1-Gang Non-Metallic Low-Voltage Old Work Bracket-SC100RR - The Home Depot

Status
Not open for further replies.