Antenna/Coax Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonian149

About a month ago I noticed a big loss of signal. I had a ST2 antenna with 75' of RG6 coax connected to a streisburg 4-port splitter, so I figured I must have a coax problem so I ordered 75' of RG6 Quad shield coax and installed it, WOW, no change in my signal. I did not replace the 300-75 ohm balun. I didn't think it would be bad, but it all that is left to replace, I can't imagine the antenna being bad. I have 4 scanners connected to it, BC796D, BCT15, Pro-2045 and a Pro-2006. I even plugged the antenna directly into the scanners and still no increase in signal strength, so if the wind every quits here in NE Florida I will replace the balun. Of course I went to a lot of trouble using lots of coax seal to protect the connection at the balun and that stuff is hard to get off. I guess I don't really have a question, just wanted to vent my frustration.--Gary

K

kb0nly

Could definitely be the balun... Also check the connections from the balun to the antenna.

jack103

Are you sure that the stridsberg coupler is OK I have had to send my unit in for repairs twice due to lighting strikes that were on the next street over.

zonian149

Yep, I attached the coax directly to the scanner, still got a lousy signal compared to what it used to be. Thanks for the suggestion.--Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.