Antenna combiner reccomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

majoco

Stirrer
You don't need a 'combiner' you need a 'splitter' or a 'multicoupler'. I use a TV antenna amplifier with 4 outputs, works well - this model probably not available outside NZ but you'll have your local product. Look in the 'splitters/multicouplers' forum.

questnz

Oh yes for sure except $$$$$, I am overseas not in US and after purchase + freight + exchange rate @ .70c to my $$$ it will be over my budget. Better/cheaper to buy another external antenna or two !
I did look at Stridsberg many times, but need to look at cheaper solution.

Ubbe

Those F connector splitters are ok to use. I currently have one 1-3 splitter on one antenna and a 1-6 at another.

But you must use amplifiers with them and if they don't have a variable gain then, as always with scanners, you'll have to use a variable attenuator to set the best signal levels.

/Ubbe

questnz

Ubbe thank you, yes I can get here 4 x Splitter with amp, I was not sure about that (amp) in case I fry 3x scanners and RTL dongle plus PC ?? My Omni -X antenna is high above roof line also looking at Centerfire
Deluxe Discone as a new addition.

majoco

Stirrer
Quest NZ - we must be in about the same area! I use an Antsig AP864 amplified splitter - the specs on the label say that the VHF/UHF input goes from 40MHz to 862MHz (although I don't know how they can be that precise!) Gain 10dB per split which is adjustable - Iv'e got mine set down quite low so that sig in = sig out and th noise figure says less than 4dB which is quite high but I don't notice much difference on FM narrow. I don't know (as in "I haven't taken it apart yet!") if each output has a separate buffer stage or just resistive from the input amp - my HF multicoupler which I bought on TradeMe is a proper job that must have cost the US Gummint a mint. I think I got it from Bunnings - I see their price is NZ$76 - not astronomical like the Stridsburgs. Yes, it is all "F" connectors and I have been busy converting all my RG58 cabling over to RG6 quad shield - Jaycar now have RG6 cable to BNC plugs and SO329 plugs fit RG6 nicely. I have a cut-down TV antenna feeding it, the discone feeds an Icom R7000 separately.

Last edited:

questnz

Martin thank you, I am in Kihikihi. This solution will suit me fine, going to Bunnings Hamilton today.
Jaycar also have F to BNC connectors or I get short made pigtails from Aliexpress. SORTED !
I feed about 25M of 5D-FB 50 ohm cable from antenna it is about equiv of LMR 300 in dia, slightly thicker than RG6. Stridsburg is a good product with good support in US but do it locally will be 3.5 time cheaper with similar performance. Thanks again hope this help other members who actually start this thread.
Regards Chris

Ubbe

As more and more handheld radios, scanners, amplifiers, filters and SDR dongles come with SMA connectors I have switched to 1 meter lenghts of SMA RG174/316 cables and use SMA-F and SMA-BNC adapters. You can get good quality of 10 packs cheap from ebay. I only use RG6 to the antennas.

/Ubbe

questnz

Ubbe thank you. Aliexpress have assembly of RG 142, 174 and 316 of SMA to F. from 6 in to 6 feet
Any advice on RG type for that length or it will make not much difference.

Regards Chris

Ubbe

RG142 is a a very good thick coax but are double the size and not as flexible as the others.
RG174 is the "standard" pig tail coax.
RG316 is a little better quality, and I personally choose that coax if I have a choice.

/Ubbe

questnz

Yes for sure but as already mentioned it will come to silly sum close to 300 of my $$$. Could get 2 x Discones for that and still keep change. I will go with this splitter/amphttps://www.bunnings.co.nz/antsig-4way-distribution-antenna-amplifier_p00281488 it is UHF 520 to 694 MHz and VHF/UHF 40 to 694 MHz range. Plus pigtails. We see if this combination works. Ps Amp cover all frequencies in my area 75 to 520 MHz. It will be completed for 1/3 of the Stridesberg landed cost. If does not work, we go to plan B

Status
Not open for further replies.