Antenna confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcgratten

I am fairly new to this scanning bit...I have read through many many threads regarding antennas....please someone steer me in the right direction.
I have a Uniden 396T scanner
1. I wish to put an antenna in my attic
2. I only have @ 5 feet to work with
3. I wish to listen to @800-960mhz and very rarely in the 400mhz range

I was looking at the ST-2 for full coverage till I realized its 102"..way to high
Then I was reading that a antenna more designed for the area @ 800mhz would be far better than one that does the 25-1300mhz.

Please...I don't wish to take loan out for an antenna..but what would be a goodie that I could set up in the 'ol attic.
Thanks in advance!
Rob

Airdorn

Get one of those little curly-cue mag-mount antennas tuned to the 800-900mhz range and drop it onto the top of your attic air conditioner unit.

mcgratten

attic antenna

Curly-cue? I am heading over to ebay...is that what they are called?

thanks for your response

rob

af5rn

I believe he is referring to the shape of the loading coil on cellphone antennae, that resembles a pigtail. If you're going to eBay (which seems an odd choice to me, but to each his own), then just search for cellphone antennae. Although, not all are equal. Be sure it comes with a magnetic mount base and coax. Make sure it is rated at AT LEAST 3dbi gain. Five would be even better. Newer cellphone antennae are tuned for both 800 and 1800mhz. Older ones are rated only for 800. Doesn't really matter which one you get, so long as the 800 is rated for 3dbi. Just pointing it out so you don't pay more for one that gets 1800mhz, thinking you need it.

Good luck!

mcgratten

antenna

Sounds good...just came from ebay and grabbed a mag mount 800mhz 3bd gain antenna. Had @ 400 in the 'ol paypal account so thats why the ebay purchasing. Specs are below....look alright??

Connector:BNC-M
Style: mini magnet mount
Band: 800 MHz
Frequency: 806-896 MHz
Gain: 3dB
Color: Black
High: 11 "
Cable Length: approx 10'

thanks for all the quick advice
Rob

mcgratten

mount

I assume to mount to something metal for a ground? I was going to just screw a piece of metal up in the attic rafter and put the mag antenna to that.......or should I run an actual ground cable?

thanks
Rob

Airdorn

mcgratten said:
I assume to mount to something metal for a ground? I was going to just screw a piece of metal up in the attic rafter and put the mag antenna to that.......or should I run an actual ground cable?

thanks
Rob

A mag-mount stuck to a metal air conditioner in the attic, or something like that will work a lot better than just sitting it on a piece of wood.

Somehow the extra metal helps the antenna in some way that remains a mystery to me. Maybe the metal is sorta acting like a parasitic element on a yagi.. I dunno.

There's a bunch of people 10 times smarter than me here that can easily explain it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.