Antenna connections for Kenwood R-1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2XTO

Just received a Kenwood R-1000 in the mail today. Although it is pretty beat up, it seems to perform admirably, as expected.

I know this topic has come up before, re: antenna connection. My interest is primarily the MW connection. (The coaxial shortwave seems to work fine on SW.)

I'll reveal the serious limits of my technical know-how here: I have a 100' random wire outside, with a 9:1 unun into coax. The impedance of my feed line should be, theoretically, 50 ohms, correct?

So...the match should be perfect for the SO-259 on the R-1000. What about the MW connection? Is that looking for a higher impedance? (I am thinking it does.) Attaching a wire from my coax gets a signal, but not a very good one. My antenna system performs MUCH better on my other radios. (I run the coax into the "output" of a Tecsun AN-200 loop and inductively "feed" their internal MW antennas. Works great.)

Is it common to have transformers on either end of coax? I guess it would basically be a 9:1 unun, right?

majoco

Stirrer
I run my R2000 from a 50ohm source via a multicoupler from an OCFD and a 9:1 transformer. Works pretty well on MW except for lots of noise from neighbour's plasma TV!

The R2000 has just a simple toroid transformer from the MW antenna terminals to the UHF socket.

Status
Not open for further replies.