Antenna Craft ST2 or a Discone ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksabo

I'm going to put an antenna in my attic. I'll have about a 50 ft. cable run. For general scanning, which one would be the better choice ? I listen to the 150.000's, 430.000's, 800.000's mostly. Any and all advice would be appreciated.
Kenny

randytn

Premium Subscriber
What is height of your attic? The longest element of the Scantenna is 101" roughly 8.5'. I wanted the Scantenna but lack of height in my attic prevented that. I settled for the RS 20-176 antenna with LMR400 cable, great reception in the VHF-Hi decent reception in the UHF band but very ppor reception in the 800 and low bands. I don't have a discone, but would say the Scantenna would be the better choice if you have a tall attic. Also the Scantenna comes with the cable included.

Randy

ksabo

...directional ?

hoser147 said:
yep for the money I would say the big S, although its seems alittle more directional it is IMHO superior to the discone on 800mgz systems. Hoser

First of all, thanks to everyone who responded to my question. hoser147, you stated that the scantenna "is a little more directional". Well, my obvious stupid question of the day is how do I determine which direction it should be facing ? I'm very new to North Carolina and do not have any idea where towers are that the signal would be picked up from. Also, because I'm mounting it in the attic, I don't have alot of room to spin this big antenna around. Should I mount it facing towards where the town is ?
I hope you understand what I mean. I just don't have alot of experience with this kind of stuff. Again, thanks for the help. It's appreciated.
Kenny

hoser147

ksabo said:
First of all, thanks to everyone who responded to my question. hoser147, you stated that the scantenna "is a little more directional". Well, my obvious stupid question of the day is how do I determine which direction it should be facing ? I'm very new to North Carolina and do not have any idea where towers are that the signal would be picked up from. Also, because I'm mounting it in the attic, I don't have alot of room to spin this big antenna around. Should I mount it facing towards where the town is ?
I hope you understand what I mean. I just don't have alot of experience with this kind of stuff. Again, thanks for the help. It's appreciated.
Kenny

I should clarify myself on that yes I would point it in the general direction, and it is very good a t picking up signals in other directions, but it just seems to do a little better in the direction it is facing. Im on pretty flat terrain so consider that as a factor. If you are in a hilly terrain. Good Scannin hoser

Paulsan

digitalanalog said:
That's not a Scantenna or a Discone.

That's true. But how would one classify a Scantenna? It's not a discone is it?

Maybe Kenny isn't aware that there are more choices out there than a Scantenna or a discone.

Just trying to help.

delta_p

I use http://www.antennasearch.com/ to find towers. Someone here was kind enough to give me that link.

Also, I have a Scantenna in my attic. I have a huge attic. I mounted it on a PVC pole and wire ties to strap it down with the weight supported by the flooring. I can't get a full 360 degrees but I can grab the pole and rotate the antenna around. I have not noticed any differences in reception by changing position, but I am sitting in a good spot relative to towers.

My attic set up
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showpost.php?p=727845&postcount=1

My vote is for the Scantenna, I am even using it more than the Yagi I have for 800Mhz. Works well enough to allow me get lazy about switching antenna :) .

PP

Paulsan

digitalanalog said:
The topic is -> Antenna Craft ST2 or a Discone ?

Antennacraft is the Mfg. of the ST2
ST2 = Scantenna.

Yes. And Kenny also stated that "Any and all advise would be appreciated".

Last edited:

ksabo

for all you guys...........

My sincere thanks and appreciation to everyone who responded to my questions. I decided to listen to the majority and I ordered a ST2 that I should have by the end of the week. I hope I learn enough so I can help someone who needs help. You guys are really great.
Kenny

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
This is going to sound stupid... But I hear people stating to point the ST-2 towards the towers. What determines the front of the antenna (ie, what part to point/aim)? Would that be pointing the mount (the horizontal beam) towards the tower?

digitalanalog

ST2/Scantenna's are multiband, omni directional antenna's
While turning it one directional would maybe help, it's still a Omni directional antenna
receives in all direction's.

Not my personal opinion, that's what the manufacture say's.

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
No.. I appreciate it..

I just heard from more than one person that although it says omni, it still exhibits some directionality on some frequencies. Regardless, I am just playing around with it a bit. Took it out of my attic and have it next to my second floor window. Getting much better reception doing this than from attic. The spot in the attic was surrounded by 2 AC units and lots of duct work... Not sure if that was interfering or not...

Still more playing around to be had...

Thanks for responding..

DELCOLHFC

delta_p said:
I use http://www.antennasearch.com/ to find towers. Someone here was kind enough to give me that link.

Also, I have a Scantenna in my attic. I have a huge attic. I mounted it on a PVC pole and wire ties to strap it down with the weight supported by the flooring. I can't get a full 360 degrees but I can grab the pole and rotate the antenna around. I have not noticed any differences in reception by changing position, but I am sitting in a good spot relative to towers.

My attic set up
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showpost.php?p=727845&postcount=1

My vote is for the Scantenna, I am even using it more than the Yagi I have for 800Mhz. Works well enough to allow me get lazy about switching antenna :) .

PP

You have resolved any slight directivity issue with the scantenna by using PVC. The typical metal mast can interact with the lower elements on the antenna causing a slight weakening of signals from the mast side of the antenna. The key word in all this from my 4 years of playing around with a scantenna is SLIGHT. I have seen a much greater change in reception from atmospheric conditions than from rotating the antenna in different directions.
You can't do much better than a scantenna for a decently priced scanner antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.