Antenna Craft ST2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcb4ep

hey guys,, i finally ordered my first antenna,, its a Antenna Craft ST2
since its 102" inches tall. could it work sitting on a five foot mast on the ground?
i am still debating on mountings and locations on the house,
i'd like to find a post that i can extend by hand such as ten foot up to thirty. i know they exist just dont know where!!!

thanks,, TCB4EP

hoser147

I dont know where to get them but there are temporary masts similar to what the military or govt. uses. Someone here will know. I wouldnt give up my ST2 they are a good antenna for the money, Just got done listening to a hostage situation on the other side of my county and it was the only antenna I had that would pull in portables in the Vhf band. Hoser

tcb4ep

re Antenna Craft ST2

I dont know where to get them but there are temporary masts similar to what the military or govt. uses. Someone here will know. I wouldnt give up my ST2 they are a good antenna for the money, Just got done listening to a hostage situation on the other side of my county and it was the only antenna I had that would pull in portables in the Vhf band. Hoser

thanks hoser,, being new to this, your comment about your ST2 was good confidence builder in my decision.
have a good one.

scrotumola

For years I had 2 10' sections of fence top rail (available at home depo, lowes or any chainlink fence supply house) mated together as the mast for a ringo ranger II. Worked very well. I had it guyed 2' above the marriage point (they feed into each other). It made for a very reliable setup and years of hassel free service.

tcb4ep

For years I had 2 10' sections of fence top rail (available at home depo, lowes or any chainlink fence supply house) mated together as the mast for a ringo ranger II. Worked very well. I had it guyed 2' above the marriage point (they feed into each other). It made for a very reliable setup and years of hassel free service.

thanks,, when you say "guyed 2' " do you mean straps running to the ground for bracing?

scrotumola

The point where I attached a double-eyelet fastened clamp was 2 feet above the merging point of the 2 rails. This was a rooftop install, the base was a ventpipe mounting clamp, and the guy wires were near 120 degrees separation to distal rooftop tie off points.

tcb4ep

The point where I attached a double-eyelet fastened clamp was 2 feet above the merging point of the 2 rails. This was a rooftop install, the base was a ventpipe mounting clamp, and the guy wires were near 120 degrees separation to distal rooftop tie off points.

thank you for taking the time to help me understand that,, for me,, i will probably be installing on the gable which is over my bedroom / office desk area. if do the two post as you have, i might have to guyed to the side of the house on right and left of the post.

tilleyhat

For my ST2-scantenna (and wilson yagi at the top), i use 3 X10ft, 1" dia. electrical conduit sections. I superpose them, at each end approx 7", 4 X 2.5" screws+bolts. I obtain approx 30Ft pole height. At the base, i use a 4ft roof tripod (ebay stuff) bolted on the ground. It withstands yet many high velocity wing in my region.

tcb4ep

For my ST2-scantenna (and wilson yagi at the top), i use 3 X10ft, 1" dia. electrical conduit sections. I superpose them, at each end approx 7", 4 X 2.5" screws+bolts. I obtain approx 30Ft pole height. At the base, i use a 4ft roof tripod (ebay stuff) bolted on the ground. It withstands yet many high velocity wing in my region.

wow that sounds cool.. thank you,, i was thinking of pvc, with holes drilled at the bottom so no water could accomulate.

KC0QNB

wow that sounds cool.. thank you,, i was thinking of pvc, with holes drilled at the bottom so no water could accomulate.
You should never use non-conductive material for antenna support, for one reason it cannot be grounded, for another pvc gets soft when it gets hot and loses its strength, and will not stand straight. Use metal either conduit (EMT) or fence top rail, but you can do what you want. The holes on the bottom for drainage are a good idea however.

Status
Not open for further replies.