Antenna Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJEMT12982

Premium Subscriber
So I found out the hard way that having a basement apartment is NOT at all ideal for scanning in my area. All of the antennas I have tried are hit or miss at best. To be completely honest, the stock antenna that I am using on both of my Uniden 996P2's has been the "best" for overall reception. The only issue is that from time to time I have to adjust the antenna and now I've noticed they have loosened. I've tried using the smallest of screw drivers to try to fix this tension issue to no avail. Any suggestions or am I better off just buying new ones?

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Telescoping antennas? I’d guess if you have a small enough crimping tool, you might be able to save it but replacing them is what’s usually the practice

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Is it phillips or slotted? Sometimes for small phillips I was able to use the tip of a steak knife.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
If it’s the telescoping antennas that won’t stay extended, you could try a small rubber band. Double up on it numerous times to get It tight enough where it grips the Antenna section.

I’meither missing your meaning altogether or the other reply’s are. I read your question as looking for advice on how to tighten up the sections of the antennas that came with the scanner so they don’t “nest” or reduce the height of the antenna.

NJEMT12982

Premium Subscriber
@NJEMT12982, do you have any flexibility with the landlord of getting an above-ground or even a roof-top antenna system installed?
That's a big negative, I can't even get her to clean up after her dog who uses my private entrance as her bathroom. Working on a new place but Covid 19 put that on hold... Just looking to keep monitoring until I move.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Normal ones I'd guess, no bars on them or anything like that?
Are your windows near the ceiling, several feet (maybe) above where you have your scanner? (And they are at or slightly above ground level?)

I have not used this antenna, but if you can get at least above ground level (at the window) it might work.
Fakespot gives the posted reviews an A (not deceptive)

Here's two more along the same line:

and

This appears to be similar to one on ScannerMaster's site:
But the one on ScannerMaster is SMA, not the BNC you need (the Amazon one is BNC), and the price on Amazon is about half ot the cost on ScannerMaster's page.

These are pretty cheap. If you want to stick with a "back of the set" telescoping antenna, try the Diamond RH789.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Normal ones I'd guess, no bars on them or anything like that?

If what your doing now works enough to get by you might try a glass mounted mobile antenna that "might" be a slight improvement. It would allow you to mount the actual antenna on the glass or outside of the glass without the need to drill holes or snake coax through anything. I'm not a big fan of this method but it's better than nothing.

atech

Premium Subscriber
So I found out the hard way that having a basement apartment is NOT at all ideal for scanning in my area. All of the antennas I have tried are hit or miss at best. To be completely honest, the stock antenna that I am using on both of my Uniden 996P2's has been the "best" for overall reception. The only issue is that from time to time I have to adjust the antenna and now I've noticed they have loosened. I've tried using the smallest of screw drivers to try to fix this tension issue to no avail. Any suggestions or am I better off just buying new ones?
If you have a window at ground level? Or a window pit? Us this bracket in the side of the window (no holes to drill).. Then put the antenna up out of the pit! (Or as high as you can go?) Gives opinion of more than one antenna! Also simple to uninstall when you move! Its what I do as I am in the basement too!

atech

Premium Subscriber
If you have a window at ground level? Or a window pit? Us this bracket in the side of the window (no holes to drill).. Then put the antenna up out of the pit! (Or as high as you can go?) Gives opinion of more than one antenna! Also simple to uninstall when you move! Its what I do as I am in the basement too!
That`s option of more antennas! Sorry!

Bob1955

You might want to order the Comet BNC-100RX 25-1,300 Mhz scanner receiving antenna from Amazon.Com/The Antenna Farm too on eBay as it is a MUCH better antenna($34.95) (Extends to 40" and down to 8" inches and black metal with a BNC connector) then what comes with these scanners. I'm having no problem with my BCD-996P2 on the stock antenna but I'm on the lowest level in my building too but facing the rear. I'm 50 feet off the ground facing the Southwest. I'm thinking of trying this out too. It's out of stock on Amazon but more coming in.
Just a FYI here. Also, these is a seller on eBay at $19.95 plus shipping for something similar with a coil in the middle and he's using it on a Bearcat BC-355N. He isn't using low band but stated to me that HVH/UHF much better. The Comet is extremely pricey but a straight up collapsible whip and it can move side by side too. It is also designed for a handheld scanner too.

NJEMT12982

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for your input! I greatly appreciate it. I will definitely be trying one or more of these suggestions out but what I really need to do is get out of the basement apartment lol. Safe scanning all!

K4EET

Chaplain
Thank you all for your input! I greatly appreciate it. I will definitely be trying one or more of these suggestions out but what I really need to do is get out of the basement apartment lol. Safe scanning all!
From now on for the rest of your life, you must think about HAAT. That acronym stands for Height Above Average Terrain. What that means is basically this. The greater the antenna height is above average terrain, the better your signal characteristics will be whether transmitting or receiving. Simply stated, that means you first want to pick the apartment complex or the house on the highest spot in the local area. If you select a location in the bottom of a narrow valley, you might as well have stayed in the basement of the apartment. Then if in a multi-level apartment, you want to be on the top floor on the side facing your area of primary radio listening interest. If it is a house you are renting or buying, it gets a little more complicated. At the top level, all of the preceding guidelines apply with respect to HAAT. Additionally, you don't want any HOA restricted communities, you do want as big of a back yard as possible with strategically located trees (more on that when you need to know) and no above-ground utilities (electric, CATV, telephone, etc.). No matter what you do, make sure you are not withing line-of-sight of any high-voltage transmission towers and lines or substations. It's 4 AM here and I'm tired so I probably missed something but others can chime in if it is crucial to your hunt for new abodes. Happy hunting!

Status
Not open for further replies.