Antenna for 10 meters and scanning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackJohnsrud

Would anyone know of an antenna, manufactured or homebrew that would work well for transmitting 25 watts maximum on 10 meters and serve well as a vhf-uhf scanner receiving antenna? Thanks.

JackJohnsrud

10 meter and scanning antenna.

Interesting links. Thank you. Do you suppose a ten meter ground plane antenna fed with twin lead and tuned with an antenna tuner for vhf-uhf reception on the scanner, might work?

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
This antenna calculator by ROBERT W MYERS, K2TV may help. Optomized tuning for VHF high or UHF frequency scanning is far from a 1/4 wave 10 meter antenna.

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Jack and all,

That sounds like a CB question and the answer is no. A licensed Amateur should know something about antennas and since ham rigs put out 100W on HF (10M) that "transmitting 25 watts maximum on 10 meters" makes me think I smell a rat. Can you say "freeband"?

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
"makes me think I smell a rat. Can you say "freeband"?"

What makes Jack a rat. Because he is uneducated about antenna design or you think he is a freebander. I agree a licensed ham should know the answer to the question asked. I personally would use two different antenna since the bands are so far apart. A nice 10meter verticle or beam and a dual bander VHF/UHF is the way I'd go. Freebanders are radio enthusiest also, they just go about things a little different than what you consider normal. So its illegal to operate there, so is throwing cigaret butts out the car window and talking on the cell phone while driving, people do it eveyday.

jay427

Last time I checked the Radio Shack 10 meter mobile does about 25watts, along with the the older 10 meter only mobiles.

elk2370bruce

Why the need for cheap, lossy 300 ohm twin lead? RG8 will do a whole lot better for transmitting and reduce your in-line losses. Check out the calculator above. Your answers are definitely there. In short, apples and oranges.

prcguy

Twinlead has much less loss than RG-8, especially when feeding random length antennas where coax losses skyrocket above the published specs. Twinlead is not for every antenna situation, but feeding say a multiband dipole it will make it useable over a wide range of frequencies where even a modest run of coax can have as much as 20dB loss under the same conditions. Feeding a 10m groundplane with twinlead will suffer other problems like undesirable radiation patterns on VHF and UHF.
prcguy
elk2370bruce said:
Why the need for cheap, lossy 300 ohm twin lead? RG8 will do a whole lot better for transmitting and reduce your in-line losses. Check out the calculator above. Your answers are definitely there. In short, apples and oranges.

Status
Not open for further replies.