Antenna for 225-400 MHz range?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpd204

Do I need an antenna to clearly receive the 255-400 range? I have a Pro-163 and I'm looking for maybe an indoor antenna. That's a do-it-yourself one, something like that. Will a loop antenna work? I've looked at the loop antenna wiki but I'm not sure which work best.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The loop antenna wiki is for frequencies far lower than 225-400 mhz...

Anyway you'd be much better off with a discone mounted nice and high outdoors. But if you can't do that, then the next best would be to put a discone in your attic - barring that, probably the least effective would be to put something like this near a window - or wander around your place with NO antenna connected, and try to find the spot (there may be more than one) where signals are strongest...

AOR MA500 Mobile Scanner Antenna

That's just one example. No doubt there are others - remember it has to be broadbanded enough to cover this range. best regards..Mike

prcguy

Check out eBay item 260915076533, it's a 225-400MHz coaxial dipole. It has an N male connector and for outdoor mounting you can use a metal L bracket with chassis mount double female adapter for the antenna/coax interface.

I was going to bid on this one but have a few already.
prcguy

Status
Not open for further replies.