Antenna for a Grundig Satellit 750

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I just recently purchased a Grundig Satellit 750, and was wondering what kind of external antenna would be good. I live in a downstairs apartment so I cant really do anything on the roof. I know a little about trying to receive signals but am still a novice. Thank you in advance for any help.

nanZor

In an rf-unfriendly environment like yours, the best thing you can do before putting up any antenna indoors / patio / window, etc, is to use the portability factor of the 750 and try to find the least-noisy locations first. Move it around, change the angle of the antenna from vertical to horizontal to diagonal - whatever it takes to find the least amount of noise without totally shielding it from the signals themselves.

Compare results by running solely from batteries as opposed to using the power adapter. In this situation, a smaller antenna in a quiet location is usually more beneficial than running wire all over the place that crosses into local noise fields.

When you have found that spot, you can plan to put an antenna in that location. Read the other threads here for those that are in much the same situation as yours, condo / basement / college dorm etc for more ideas on what types of small antennas you might want to look into. Without being there, it is hard to make an overall recommendation with a guarantee, but the portability of the 750 will certainly make that job of hunting down a quiet location easier - sometimes a few feet can make all the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your reply. I will definitely try those suggestions out, indeed. Also as an aside...I live in an appt house. There is an upstairs appt and than the downstairs appt with the yard and front and back porch which is mine.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Here's a real possibility - pick one of the porches (front or back) that's less visible or is less used - get a PAR end fed, and replace the (relatively) thick black wire with something of a smaller diameter. Wrap it around the perimeter. Use wire that's clear (like thin speaker wire) and it ought to be darn near invisible.

HTH...Mike

majoco

Stirrer
FWIW, you don't have to 'buy' an antenna.

+1. Any old bit of insulated wire strung around outside (preferably) is an antenna. Longer the better, but not too long else you'll overload the 750.

Status
Not open for further replies.