Antenna for BC95XLT

Status
Not open for further replies.

vwnut13

I am totally new to scanners, and have no idea about what antennas are the best and what not. I would like an antenna with a range larger than that of the rubber-duck the BC95XLT came with.

The frequencies I listen to most are: 154.250, 163.100, 460.100, 460.300

It looks like I would want an antenna that would be able to do "108-174 MHz" and "406-512 MHz"

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good Portable Antenna?

n4yek

Radio Shack has a good antenna, I have two of them:
Center-Loaded Telescoping Whip Antenna - RadioShack.com
It has 4 sections below the center load and 5 sections above the center load
Does very well and you should like it.
Danny

PS: if you do purchase this antenna, don't pull out the section just above the center load. Only pull out the top 4 sections above the center load. For some reason the 5th section just above the load will short out the top sections if it is pulled all the way out and kills VHF reception.

Last edited:

vwnut13

What type of antenna are you looking for? Short/Tall, flexible/not, manufacturer?

I have no brand preference. I just want a antenna that will work better than the stock rubber-duck. I would prefer an easy to use antenna.

I live within three or so miles of where the Police, Fire, EMS, and State Police broadcast from. The biggest problem that I have found is that I am unable to listen to some incoming signals (EMS to dispatch for example) because my antenna isn't strong enough.

nanZor

You might be happy with the venerable Diamond RH77CA. It is actually resonant near 152 mhz on VHF, and although resonant near 446 mhz for uhf, it performs well up at 460 for receive-only.

Note that the standard duck that comes with the Unidens are resonant near 155 mhz.

Remember ducks are convenient, but they aren't as good as a standard 1/4 wave telescopic if you can put up with the rigidness.

The RS 20-006 telescopic is resonant at 46 mhz when you extend it fully because the coil loads it for VHF-Low. N4YEK is right about it killing vhf-hi reception when fully extended. You can bypass the coil by only collapsing the element just above the coil maybe 1/4 to 1/2 way back down inside the coil until you feel the contact resistance of the shorting terminals. (I ripped a few of these open). and then fine-tuning the top element if you desire. For UHF, just collapse the whole thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

vwnut13

i just got this scanner and this is also my first handheld.. i am looking for a better ant myself.. something that would extend the range or at least pickup more clearly.. i listen to 460. 462. 453. 153. 154. 155.... also im planing on going to some motocross races and air shows with this so i didnt know how good the stock ant was or if i needed something better.. also would the diamond ant extend the range pickup? and by how many miles... im just learning so please go easy lol what im basically saying is, do i need to upgrade my ant? if i got the upgraded ant what exactly would be the differences between that one and the stock one..

when i goto the air show the freq is 139 - 148 (pilots air to air) and a little 225. 235. 322. & 413. so i just wanna make sure i can pick these up..

also is it worth buying the usb cable to program this scanner.. will that allow me to name the channel? this is a very basic scanner and just shows the channel # and freq.. would like to know what im listening to without having to memorize the freq or channels thats programmed.. it can get very confusing

ive been listening to my police freqs and noticed that the 153.-155. freqs havent yet poped up with anything.. maybe they just aint talking when my scanner is on or maybe its not picking the freq up due to the type of ant??

nanZor

i just got this scanner and this is also my first handheld.. i am looking for a better ant myself.. something that would extend the range or at least pickup more clearly

For what you've listed, the Diamond RH77CA would be a good choice. BUT giving a mileage improvement figure is impossible due to so many variables.

also im planing on going to some motocross races and air shows with this so i didnt know how good the stock ant was or if i needed something better

You might find that the stock antenna at a race or airshow to be adequate since you are so close in proximity to the action. It might even be a good thing to use the less-efficient stock duck in this application, typically saturated with RF. And, if you are climbing around static airshow displays and crowds of people, the short stock antenna might be more convenient when all is said and done at the end of the day. Bring both and test in the real world.

when i goto the air show the freq is 139 - 148 (pilots air to air) and a little 225. 235. 322. & 413. so i just wanna make sure i can pick these up..

Do you mean this airshow event in Smyrna:
The Great Tennessee AirShow

You've listed some UHF military-air freqs that the 95xlt won't cover. If you really want to listen to milair, the new Uniden BC125AT will do what you want. In any case, plan on using headphones / earphones.

While waiting for the airshow to arrive, why not try your hand at monitoring the M33 Galatin, TN airport:
123.050 CTAF/Unicom
118.400 Nashville approach / departure
It is listed as open to the public, so maybe you can make a burger-run there (if they have any food services), and kick back with your 95 watching the action....

also is it worth buying the usb cable to program this scanner.. will that allow me to name the channel?
I think it is worth it, but you won't be able to use text labels for the frequencies.

ive been listening to my police freqs and noticed that the 153.-155. freqs havent yet poped up with anything.. maybe they just aint talking when my scanner is on or maybe its not picking the freq up due to the type of ant??

Have you searched the database here for Sumner County, TN to make sure you are on the right frequencies?
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2510

It is possible that you are just too far away, but try the freqs listed in the database first. Also visit the Aircraft Monitoring forum here for more accurate airshow frequencies...

Last edited by a moderator:
For what you've listed, the Diamond RH77CA would be a good choice. BUT giving a mileage improvement figure is impossible due to so many variables.

You've listed some UHF military-air freqs that the 95xlt won't cover. If you really want to listen to milair, the new Uniden BC125AT will do what you want. In any case, plan on using headphones / earphones.

what kind of improvments would the Diamond RH77CA make? compared to the duck ant
what freq's will the 95xlt not pick up???

nanZor

The frequency coverage is listed in the manual, which you can obtain from Uniden:
200 Channel Handheld Scanner with 800MHz Coverage - Scanners at Uniden

Some of the frequencies you listed above are out of this scanner's coverage.

At the track, or at the airshow, the Diamond will make little to no difference since the signals are super-strong to begin with, just by being so close to the sources. It is when you get further away, that the Diamond will help.

Pinning down how much of an improvement it will make to you is impossible. For many on RR, it makes a noticeable improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.