Antenna for BCD396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpockVulcan

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

I've used my BCD396XT for a while now but I am thinking it might be time to try something other then the stock antenna. Any thoughts?

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin
Th Radio Shack 800 MHz antenna with a BNC/SMA adaptor or a Diamond 77 with a SMA end would be good choices.

teufler

If you are talking about another portable antenna, I use the Austin Condor. It is tuned for 800 as well as vhf and uhf. If you want a mobile, I have the Austin Spectre and it is 16 years old and still works as good as the day I bought it. For home use, I have a Larsen 5/8 wave over a 5/8 wave over a 1/4 wave. Its only 24" tall but it has gain on 800 off about 6 dbd. I also have a dual band diamond vertical that is my ham antenna but with an adapter it works. I am listening to various highway patrol troops right now. I live in the St Louis area but am copying Jefferson City, and Rolla. 140 miles or more. With the Austin Condor, typical range is alittle over 30 miles.

JamesO

Radio Shack 800 MHz rubber duck antenna is what you want.

800MHz Scanner Antenna : Scanner Antennas | RadioShack.com

I have a few of the Diamond antennas and they are not all that good for 700-800 MHz and they are very long compared to the Radio Shack 800 MHz antenna.

I also have a Austin Condor portable antenna, no advantage that I see as compared to the 800 MHz Radio Shack antenna.

wtp

rs 800

i like the radio shack one myself. but i have a different reason. the radio is in my pocket every time i leave the house,so i like the spring in the antenna, it is very forgiving.

lep

Radio Shack 800 MHz rubber duck antenna is what you want.

800MHz Scanner Antenna : Scanner Antennas | RadioShack.com

I also have several of these, they are OK for what they are, "a negative gain antenna." That is correct, the main problem I have with this antenna is the False advertising on the package, obviously written by the Marketing department, not the Engineering department (assuming RS even has an Engineering department any more). The package says "6db gain over a stock 800 MHz antenna..." There is no mention of the reference "dbd" or "dbi" nor as to WHAT stock antenna is being referenced.

That whole claim, IMHOP simply is not possible unless a new kind of physics has been discovered since the many years since I studied John Kraus's book in College EE class.

I sometimes use one on my own 396 for convenience, there is no demonstrable gain over the stock duck.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

I've used my BCD396XT for a while now but I am thinking it might be time to try something other then the stock antenna. Any thoughts?

I'm also using the rubber duck. I think it's the best antenna you're going to find for all around scanning that still leaves your scanner portable.

I bought the Diamond SRH77CA antenna for my old 346XT and it performed worse than the rubber duck..YMMV.

If you do all your scanning in one spot at home? Mount an antenna on your roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.