Antenna for BCD436HP for Southern California

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gildor

I am new to the scanner hobby and have a BCD436HP on order. I understand that a third party antenna would enhance the signal I receive. I live south of LAX near the coast and not too far from the Port of LA. So, with the possibility of all kinds different activity to listen to, I was wondering what the folks here in LA would recommend as a portable antenna for this locale for the 436.

Looking for an "all-around" antenna as I don't have any specific types of transmissions I want to listen to. Just looking for the greatest variety. At this point I want to listen to everything!

I have poked around and see that most people seem to like the Radio Shack 800 Mhz and Diamond antennas, but I I thought I would ask if folks had any recommendations specifically for here in LA.

Thanks!

Gildor

Since I am not getting any response, let me adjust my question a little.

Is there any difference in the types of antennas I should be looking at for an urban area with high signal density versus a rural setting with a relatively lower signal density?

Or does it really not matter about signal density and I should just get the antenna I need based on the frequency preferences I have when listening?

Thanks!

Voyager

You should be looking at frequency bands primarily, as antennas are designed for those. For general use, the stock antenna is not bad. Of course, the better antennas will be larger, so that will be a personal choice selection.

I'm assuming you want a portable antenna, correct? (not base or mobile)

Gildor

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I am interested in a portable antenna. I'll cross the base antenna bridge later.

At this point though, I don't have any particular frequencies I am targeting, being a newbie. Just based on my first day's experience, I can cross a couple of things out like looping broadcasts from the Weather Service and Airports.

Still, the learning part is half the fun!

Thanks again.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
You might want to try the Comet HT-55.

As Voyager says, the stock antenna isn't bad, but the HT-55 Comet dual-bander for portable radios is much more flexible and tuned more for public safety frequencies ranges (150 MHz and 450 MHz) than your typical amateur radio dual-band antennas (140 MHz and 440 MHz). It also seems to work pretty well (for me, at least) for 800 MHz systems.

ScannerMaster stocks them.

Hope this helps.

-Johnnie

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Diamond RH77CA and RS-800 are two very good antennas. If you want to make the most of the 436HP in LA, I strongly advise one antenna for VHF/UHF and one for 800. I have two 436HPs and they work well.

Gildor

Thanks! I think I'll see how one antenna goes, then look for a more specialized one as I gain experience. Gotta get the wife used to the idea of a scanner before I spring multiple antennas on her! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.