antenna for BCT15x

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpringHill

hello all! so ive recently started broadcasting my scanner to RR and im looking to upgrade my antenna. i want one that is reasonably priced but obv is a good one for distance...

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The distance you hear a station from is dependent on many factors - the height of the transmit antenna, your antenna's height, the power output, the frequency, the coax you are using (plays into how much signal you lose) all play a role. What freq range(s) are you looking to rebroadcast? Can you put something outside? Can you get it clear of surrounding objects? A little more specifics is in order...

Discones are the usual way most people go, but let's get a better idea of what is going on here..Mike

SpringHill

Thanks for your quick reply!

The transmit antenna is about two feet tall. the antennas actual height from ground level oh.... i don't know im using it on the second floor. also i live on a hill so im pretty well off the ground compared to everyone else. frequencies between 450.xxx and 465.xxx. no coax cable the antenna is direct into the scanner. outside is a bit out of the question. the antenna is currently in a room in the front corner of my house. the only thing that is in the "way" is the wall.

SpringHill

Ok so that basically tells me what I already know. Im perfectly fine for the city I'm in but iffy for the next down, bringing back the question..... What would be a good antenna?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
You first have to determine what "frequency" you wish to monitor.
Antenna are tuned to a specific frequency or frequency range. A 25-3000 mhz. range would provide wide coverage but may be lacking at a specific frequency. For example if the system you want to hear is on 800 mhz. an antenna for 800 mhz. would provide better reception.
Since you don't provide much information with your feed details, I checked the DB for your area and it appears it is mostly VHF/UHF.
Amateur radio dual band antenna do very well in this range too.

This site has a nice selection of antenna.

Scanner Antennas

You don't have to purchase from them, but their product descriptions can help you decide.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.