• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Antenna for cdm1550

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dosco5

A few questions, just acquired a UHF CDM1550 with remote head. I'll be operating in the 450mhz range, will a whipless laird phantom antenna 450-470 mhz work? The model is trab450r3.
What is 3db meg gain, will it affect my decision?
Additionally any major pro/cons from whipless vs whip. How's the range difference?
Thank you. I'm current using a xpr uhf mototrbo until then, will I see a bit of range improvement?
Thank you

cmdrwill

I think a properly mounted NMO mount and a 1/4 wave, 6 inch, whip will work much better. BTDT and have the badge.

Dosco5

I think a properly mounted NMO mount and a 1/4 wave, 6 inch, whip will work much better. BTDT and have the badge.

How much of a difference was there? Recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12dbsinad

A phantom will work, on UHF. VHF, forget about it!

As was stated, I find a simple quarter wave to work just as good if not better. The 3db gain pitch is just what it is, a sales pitch. A phantom does not "re-invent the wheel" as far as the laws of physics go in regards to antenna's.

Personally for me, I'd go quarter wave NMO center of roof. Cheaper, and will perform great.

Dosco5

A phantom will work, on UHF. VHF, forget about it!

As was stated, I find a simple quarter wave to work just as good if not better. The 3db gain pitch is just what it is, a sales pitch. A phantom does not "re-invent the wheel" as far as the laws of physics go in regards to antenna's.

Personally for me, I'd go quarter wave NMO center of roof. Cheaper, and will perform great.

Any recommendations? What's the length going to be? I'm not going to be in the wilderness. Anywhere I'm basically going to go will have the reception of my portable ht1250, so just wanting an alternative

12dbsinad

Any recommendations? What's the length going to be? I'm not going to be in the wilderness. Anywhere I'm basically going to go will have the reception of my portable ht1250, so just wanting an alternative

I like Laird products. Something like a A450 or a AB450 (black) would work great. I have some that are MANY years old and still work fine, no water penetration, etc. and have a nice spring center pin contact. They are about 6 or so inches long.

There are cheaper ones by laird, but I personally like these. Stay away from Tram or browning Chinese knock offs.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
100% agree.

The phantom antennas are a "looks" thing. If you are more concerned about the looks of the antenna than actual performance, then go with the phantom. If you really want to go low profile and performance doesn't count, then get yourself a 50Ω dummy load and put it under the seat of your car. That'll at least keep your butt warm.

Seriously, though, 1/4 wave antennas are hard to beat, inexpensive, very wide band, and low profile. At 450MHz you're looking at about 6 inches long. You can get them in chrome or black and they usually blend in much better than the phantoms. A 1/4 wave will flex a bit, so they tend to work better if you risk hitting a tree branch. Phantoms don't bend.

Larsen is my personal favorite, but I've got Laird, Comtelco and a few others. The basic 1/4 waves are pretty much the same.

Should be able to buy one for $10 (for just the antenna). You'll need an NMO mount, preferably permanently installed on the roof of your vehicle. The mount/cabe is going to run about $15 or so. You can get the same brands listed above.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Additionally any major pro/cons from whipless vs whip. How's the range difference?

The 1/4 wave will easily outperform the phantom antenna, and do it a lot cheaper, too.

Thank you. I'm current using a xpr uhf mototrbo until then, will I see a bit of range improvement?

Not sure, are you using an XPR portable? If you are, the simple step of getting the antenna outside the car will drastically improve performance. The better audio will make it sound better, also. If you really want to, add an external speaker to the CDM1550 and they really have nice loud and clean audio.

Dosco5

I'll look into the model described above then, I was using an xpr3500 portable and a ht1250 portable

Status
Not open for further replies.