Antenna for Dodge Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
I want to put my scanner antenna back on my car without killing the paint with a mag mount or putting holes in it. Anyone have suggestions for a good mount for a 2016 Charger Black Dual Band Antenna?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Mag mount is your only option if you don't want to mar the paint. Every other option requires clamping a mount to the edge of a body panel (the clamp screws have to pierce the paint to get a connection for proper grounding), or drilling holes.

A mag mount does minimal damage to paint if both the mount and the paint are clean. Any dirt will get crushed into the paint and mar the surface.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
Mag mount is your only option if you don't want to mar the paint. Every other option requires clamping a mount to the edge of a body panel (the clamp screws have to pierce the paint to get a connection for proper grounding), or drilling holes.

A mag mount does minimal damage to paint if both the mount and the paint are clean. Any dirt will get crushed into the paint and mar the surface.

I'm worried about water getting under the mag and rusting the spot it's sitting.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You can put sealant on the mag mount base to prevent water intrusion. If that is not an acceptable option, then your only option is to drill hole(s). And you'll still need to apply sealant around the mount.

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
I have used trunk lip mounts for years and have never marred the external finish. It does however dig the two set screws into the under side of the trunk lid to complete the ground but so what.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
You can put sealant on the mag mount base to prevent water intrusion. If that is not an acceptable option, then your only option is to drill hole(s). And you'll still need to apply sealant around the mount.

Properly installed NMO mounts do not need any kind of sealant..

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

No. They work, but they will damage the paint.

There are glass mount scanner antennas, but don't expect stellar performance.
You can sometimes mount the antenna in a rear package shelf (behind the rear seat) but some tinted glass uses metal, so that will impact performance.

Any exterior mount is going to leave a mark, eventually. You need to decide what you are willing to accept and what performance reduction you are willing to accept.

While I understand the wish to "not drill holes", it does work better. It looks better. Never had an issue with lease turn-ins, either.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
I have used trunk lip mounts for years and have never marred the external finish. It does however dig the two set screws into the under side of the trunk lid to complete the ground but so what.

I'm ok with the underside of the trunk lid.

SCPD

QRT
Trunk lip mounts do work for just scanning. Only issue as mentioned is the area the lip will sit on over time if not cared for or protected and even in some cases the paint will fade or wear in shape of the lip. Some have had success moving it around time to time or using products to protect the paint coating where the lip mount will sit. But yes it is a ideal option for those not wanting to drill away.

Others have mounted a fixed antenna to the center of roof where later if needed a gps/ xm radio cover could be installed at or near where factory would install gps covers and xm antennas. Installing it over where the scanner or transciever antenna was placed and not showing a mount hole. Since gps and satellite radio antennas and covers are common nobody questions them.

nbdyspclk

Use you oem am/fm antenna just get a splitter and good to go I did this with my truck excellent reception all freqs all systems

Sent from my SM-T357T using Tapatalk

cmdrwill

Later model Charger has an active antenna for AM and FM, a coupler will not work on this type antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.