Antenna for FT-991a

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcguy

The Hustler 5BTV being vertical will miss a lot of comms in the 75mi to a couple hundred mile range on the lower bands because it puts most of the energy out to the sides where it fades away after about 75mi, then when it glances off the ionosphere and comes down far away. A horizontal antenna like the EFHW up at 20-30ft will fill in all areas from zero to several hundred miles and will also work fine for DX.

The 40m version works excellent on 40, 20, 15 and 10m and you can sort of force feed it on some of the WARC bands with a tuner with reduced performance. The 133ft long 80m version will work all bands including WARC with a good enough match where you should not need a tuner. If your not into CW I would recommend the 7510 version which moves the roughly 3.6MHz resonant point of the 80m version up to about 3.8MHz so you get the phone portion of 75m without a tuner. I use these same antennas from MyAntennas and I believe they are the best commercially made versions out there.

At just over 60', and not needing an antenna tuner, it would be my preference. O have their 8010 and have vero complaints. Plus, it hides extremelywell in the trees.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
The EFHW-4010 is going to be much simpler to install than a vertical, cost less, and performs very well. Also consider the MyAntennas OCF-4010E-3K or the OCF-8010E-3K. The built-in tuner in your 991A will handle either of those Off-Center Fed antennas up through 6 Meters (read the spec.... they're good up to 54 mHZ). Either will give you a horizontally polarized signal on 6M SSB or FT8 / FT4, which is what you want when the band opens.. or even when it is not. I use my 283 foot 160-6M off-center dipole all the time on 6M. The OCF-4010E-3K is 65 feet long, the longer one is 133 feet end to end. They are fed with coax 19% in from one end, so you'll need to plan your end supports, coax cable, & entry into your house differently than you would for the end fed antennas.

prcguy

For the end fed I would recommend the EFW-7510-2K to cover 75m phone with no tuner or if you get the OCF-8010E-3K do the capacitor mod that resonates in the 75m phone portion without a tuner. My main home HF antenna is now the MyAntennas OCF-8010-3K with a capacitor mod and I love it.

The EFHW-4010 is going to be much simpler to install than a vertical, cost less, and performs very well. Also consider the MyAntennas OCF-4010E-3K or the OCF-8010E-3K. The built-in tuner in your 991A will handle either of those Off-Center Fed antennas up through 6 Meters (read the spec.... they're good up to 54 mHZ). Either will give you a horizontally polarized signal on 6M SSB or FT8 / FT4, which is what you want when the band opens.. or even when it is not. I use my 283 foot 160-6M off-center dipole all the time on 6M. The OCF-4010E-3K is 65 feet long, the longer one is 133 feet end to end. They are fed with coax 19% in from one end, so you'll need to plan your end supports, coax cable, & entry into your house differently than you would for the end fed antennas.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
The MyAntennas has the 6-5 wraps around a 1.5" form at 79" from the feed point which helps SWR at the higher bands.

K9DWB

QRT
Admitted, I've yet to use a MyAntenna. Kinda hard for me to justify it right now if I'm still only running dual band HT. Even so, I have heard great things about their antennas. And FWIW, one is on my wish list after I get my HF radio. that's assuming the EFHW is suitable for the place I will soon be moving to.

nick59349

I would go LMR400 for a VHF/UHF antenna for anything over 40ft or so. Even with LMR400, 100ft will have about 2.7dB loss at 450MHz. If HF is closer to a 50ft run maybe RG-8X but any longer I would just use LMR400 as the loss on 10m starts adding up.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.