• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

antenna for kenwood 760

Status
Not open for further replies.

busher12

i have a Kenwood 760 that will be programmed to 153.860, i am in need of an antenna but have no clue what antenna will work, please help.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
For mobile use check out the Larsen lineup of mobile antennas.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'll happily second the Larsen line. I've been using and installing those for years and have never had an issue with them.

For the mount, look at the NMO mounts. Larsen NMOK would be the basic one, although I've been using the NMO mounts with the dual shield cable as it has a bit less cable loss. You don't need the NMO-HF mounts for VHF, although it wouldn't hurt. Those are designed for really high frequency stuff. The NMO mounts are about as standard as you can get, and once you have the mount installed, you have a wide selection of antennas for many manufacturers that will fit that standard mount. Real permanent installation is preferred and while it does involve drilling a hole, I've never had one leak. You can usually pay a shop to do it for you if you don't have the right tools, or are squeamish about taking a hole saw to the roof of your truck.

For the actual antenna, you have a number of choices. Quarter wave is my favorite, especially for a truck roof since it will be the smallest useable antenna. NMOQ would be the Larsen part number, although there are several versions, including chrome and black to fit your preferences. If your truck is tall and you are concerned about low hanging trees or parking garages, then look at the quarter wave antennas that have a spring at the base.

Since your area is pretty flat, you would also want to look at the 5/8's wave antennas. At VHF frequencies, it's going to be about 4 feet long, but gives you a bit more gain. I've never actually seen a big improvement in range with these, but some claim they do. On a pickup they tend to find tree branches and low parking garages, however. They tend to be quite flexible, and that can help, but at freeway speeds they also bend over quite a ways that I think reduces their effectiveness while driving.

One thing I suggest to people is to look at what the local public safety agencies are using. If the locals are on VHF, see what kind of antennas they are using. That will give you an idea of what works in your specific area.

Installing these on your own is relatively easy, but does require the right tools. If you plan on doing more than one, I'd suggest spending the $20 or so to buy the proper hole saw. It makes the job easier and is designed to not go too deep. If this is a one off install, then check with a local radio shop and find out what they charge to drill the hole, install the mount, and tune the antenna for you. It may cost a bit, but they'll likely do a really good job.

Other vendors than Larsen:
Maxrad,
Laird
etc. They are all pretty much the same and any of those brands would be just fine. I'm sure someone else will pipe in with their own recommendations.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
For a base antenna, I'd suggest getting a real base antenna, not the mobile antenna base adapter. A good base antenna will last a long time if installed right. While they are not the best, the Maxrad line have been acceptable and reasonably priced. If you are going to be using it for Amateur radio use, then look at one of the specifically designed antennas for one of the ham radio antenna companies.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

If you are only using the one Frequency, then go with the Larsen 5/8. You cannot go wrong with Larsen, I have been using Larsen products for years with zero problems

nick1427d

Premium Subscriber
What kind of terrain/obstructions will the mobile be dealing with. How far out you trying to hit?

I love my 3db antenex as far as cheap goes, it's taller . Comets I've had were good, never had a larsen.

I've heard good things about a Tram 1400 I believe for base use ~$50 last I checked, was gonna use it for receive only.

Check out eham.net they have reviews by actual users of radio equipment and give pretty good unbiased views on what works for them

Status
Not open for further replies.