Antenna for SC230

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew49ers

Yesterday I got a new scanner SC230, and I was wondering what type of antennas can I get for this model? I would like one that will give me longer range. Also the antenna that came with this scanner I would like to know the specifics of it, such as coverage range, like estimated miles?

acepilot340

Since that scanner is meant for NASCAR I'm guessing that is what you bought it for. So in this case the stock antenna is all you need. As a NASCAR fan myself I use my BC246t with a RadioShack all-band antenna with Attenuation (ATT)set to ON; because there is sooo much chatter on that 450-470mhz band a big antenna will actually be worse than the stock because you will have a lot of interference.

If this is not the case then this antenna will be enough... Austin Condor All-Band Portable BNC Antenna

lowerrollin

Feed Provider
More Details Plz...

What do you intend on listening to? UHF? VHF? Do you plan on keeping the scanner stationary or clipped to a sun visor in the car? A little insight to what you want it to do would help forum users better answer your question. I use a SC200 as a base scanner, to listen to local law enforcement, so a dipole 30 foot in the air is the best antenna for me. For you though, might be different. And as far as the little "rubber duckie" antenna that comes with the scanner, it is usually tuned for a wide band width. ( So you can enjoy alot of frequencies around you, right outta the box) Range isn't gonna be that great though. If you live in a average/smaller size city, expect to pick up almost everything that city has to offer with the factory antenna.

Matthew49ers

Prolly both UHF and VHF, and I would mostly have the scanner either on my dresser or on my desk beside me, here in my bedroom, and also take it in the car with me.

Oh and by the way, what is the stub antenna for? My scanner came with 2 antennas, one is the stub, and the other one is the rubber duckie one.

lowerrollin

Feed Provider
The "stub" antenna is the special antenna used when your at the race track. The smaller antenna limits the reception range, helping you listen to only the near vicinity. Remember the Sc230 is a "sport" scanner, designed for the Nascar race track. Do you live near what you want to scan? Up on a hill or in a valley? I'm gonna guess the factory duckie (the bigger one) is sufficient for most of what you want to listen to. If you are having troubles picking up some stations, or reception is scratchy, Radio Shack sells a Center-Loaded Telescoping Whip Antenna, Center-Loaded Telescoping Whip Antenna - RadioShack.com that I use and it picks up alot better than the factory. Downside to it is it isn't flexible. acepilot340 posted what looks like a good flexible antenna at Scanner Master. You can always do better than the factory duckie antenna, but the question is do you need it.......

Matthew49ers

The "stub" antenna is the special antenna used when your at the race track. The smaller antenna limits the reception range, helping you listen to only the near vicinity. Remember the Sc230 is a "sport" scanner, designed for the Nascar race track. Do you live near what you want to scan? Up on a hill or in a valley? I'm gonna guess the factory duckie (the bigger one) is sufficient for most of what you want to listen to. If you are having troubles picking up some stations, or reception is scratchy, Radio Shack sells a Center-Loaded Telescoping Whip Antenna, Center-Loaded Telescoping Whip Antenna - RadioShack.com that I use and it picks up alot better than the factory. Downside to it is it isn't flexible. acepilot340 posted what looks like a good flexible antenna at Scanner Master. You can always do better than the factory duckie antenna, but the question is do you need it.......

Other than the antenna not being flexible what is the difference between the antenna you use, and the one that Acepilot use?

Other than being a comfort thing, is there a reason why an antenna not being flexible is a downside?

I checked both sites, to check for more information on the antennas, and it doesn't give much details about them.

lowerrollin

Feed Provider
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; HERO200 Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Flexible antennas are good for handheld scanners or radios due to the fact that there always moving. Say its clipped onto your belt as you walk, it will flex as it moves. There is always the chance you will drop it and a flex will not usually break. The radioshack antenna I referenced is a Telescoping antenna. It will not flex and will usually break if bent past a few degrees. Also the shack antenna is centerloaded, as well as extendable, giving you a coarse way of tuning it.

Status
Not open for further replies.