Antenna for traveling

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveh552

I will be taking a trip from Columbus to Dallas and am wanting to get an antenna for my Jeep for the trip. Mind you I plan on keeping the antenna on the Jeep for travels in my area as well, so it will not be just for the trip. I know there are some lowband, VHF and UHF including 700/800mhz.

Id like an antenna that I can keep on it while still parking in the garage so low profile would be good, if I need to run two antennas and a splitter I can do so. Any ideas?

6520tkp

Larsen tri bander

I will be taking a trip from Columbus to Dallas and am wanting to get an antenna for my Jeep for the trip. Mind you I plan on keeping the antenna on the Jeep for travels in my area as well, so it will not be just for the trip. I know there are some lowband, VHF and UHF including 700/800mhz.

Id like an antenna that I can keep on it while still parking in the garage so low profile would be good, if I need to run two antennas and a splitter I can do so. Any ideas?

Larsen NMO150/450/800 Tri-Band NMO Antenna
Check ot this link, this antenna is low profie and works great, I recently bought one.

You will have to buy the NMO mount for the antenna if you do not all ready have one.

I bought mine some where else can not remember off hand look around.

It is refered to as a larsen tri bander.

Last edited:

6520tkp

Larsen tri bander

They make a L shaped mounting bracket that bolts on the inside of the hood.

steveh552

Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming. I should have mentioned that my Jeep is a Grand Cherokee 2001 model. I will either have to do a mag mount or a bolt on, I do not have the tools nor the time to go about drilling holes and hiding the coax and such.

N2JDS

that fender mount antenna could be an easy install, typically there is a pathway in the firewall, and you just get the right bracket to mount between your hood and fender. But Mag mounts are also a good option, better suited for temporary uses. If so, I'd run the coax in at the backseat door, which gets used less.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm on my third Grand Cherokee in about 18 years. Have always used and had good results with a thru-the-glass cellular lookalike antenna for scanning. Currently have the Tram 1199, which is $13.44 from Anazon. It has these advantages over any other antenna that will let me drive into the garage with no worries:
- more of the antenna receiving surface is above the roofline, and clear of the Jeep
- inexpensive
- can be folded over or angled easily if you wish, and still works well
- unlike an AM-FM radio splitter, the antenna is dedicated to the scanner
- it's very low profile and stealthy. Looks like cellular antenna.
- very simple to install at the highest point on a front or side window
- very simple to run the coax because coupler is already inside the car on inside of window. Just tuck coax into interior trim panels with your fingers
- covers a very broad freq range, and gives pretty good account on each of them
- whip unscrews easily if you desire

If you want to pay more, Larsen makes one that you can load up for TX. But all I do on that antenna is RX. Not bad for $13.44.

Status
Not open for further replies.