Antenna for Uniden BCD 996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterLongwire

Amateur radio operator/QC tech for radio mfr.
Banned
I am getting the 996 this week. I had a RS Pro96 where I took the ducky off and put a Diamond RH77A on. The results were night and day. I gave the Pro 96 to my son as he got a sudden interest in scanning and I kept the Diamond antenna. My question is will there be an appreciable difference with the Diamond RH77CA on the 996 versus the stock antenna? I have an angle adapter I'll be using for the 996XT. An outside antenna isn't necessary with the experience I've had with the Diamond antenna. Thx guys/gals

JamesO

Suggest you tell your son to buy the Radio Shack 800 duck antenna for the PRO96 assuming the majority of his listening is 800 MHz trunk systems. I run the Radio Shack 800 duck on most of my handheld scanner.

I have some issues with the Diamond RH77A was not so good with the 800 MHz trunked systems, some it would not even pick them up and I thought I had a problem with one of my scanners until I swapped over to the Radio Shack 800 MHz duck.

The stock 996 antenna may be fine. I know my 996XT antenna has a build in swivel, so no need for a 90 degree adapter, but there may have been different antennas shipped?

MisterLongwire

Amateur radio operator/QC tech for radio mfr.
Banned
Actually the stock RS antenna worked rather well on the 800 meg frequencies...listened to Imperial County Sheriff from here in north county of San Diego. Local listening (0-20 miles) was never a problem with the stock ducky. Only reason I replaced it with the Diamond was that the Diamond received better on the airband.

JamesO

Airband is different, but the 800 MHz Radio Shack duck will blow the stock antennas on most of these radios away on most bands.

I run the Radio Shack antenna as my daily antenna on my handhelds.

My 996 has the stock whip feeding a pre-amp in the center of the house.

I have to still sort out my attic antenna soon and split the feed to the bedroom and family room.

Status
Not open for further replies.