Antenna for Yaesu FT8800R

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZachSmith

Does anyone have any recommendations for a compatible antenna for the Yaesu FT8800R? As I am a radio noob, is this something you need to use two antennas for each band? No laughing (silently is ok) please. Haha. Thanks for your help.

Paulsan

A dual band antenna is the ticket. Diamond or Comet would be my choice.

Curious though, do you have a license to use the radio? I would think a Tech would know about dual band antennas.

ZachSmith

I work for Fire/EMS and the police department. I use my radio for these purposes, and not for Hammin it up. Thanks for the info, I shall look into those brands.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well Zach, >I< see a problem, you're using the radio illegally. A radio certified for the Amateur bands is NOT certified for commercial or PS use so using non certified equipment will eventually get you AND the agencies you work for in trouble with the FCC as this practice has done to others.

Yeah smarty pants, the first has arrived on scene. (;->)

ZachSmith

Well, seeing as most of the Chiefs and even county commissioners around the area seem to use their own personal radios as the State/Government can't afford anything decent, I'm not too concerned about you telling me I'm a bad boy.

I'm more focused on my job. If the FCC wants to try to shut down entire counties police and public service departments because people are forced to buy their own DECENT equipment, I'd like the vacation.

davidbond21

I'm more focused on my job. If the FCC wants to try to shut down entire counties police and public service departments because people are forced to buy their own DECENT equipment, I'd like the vacation.

If you want DECENT equipment, why are you buying ham radios then? I mean this as an honest question. And that's not to say the FT-8800R isn't a nice rig, but unless the radio has been modified to transmit out of band, I don't see how it's going to help you(as far as transmitting) in the Public Safety bands. And if it has been modified, then you're likely getting poorer performance in that extended frequency range than what the radio was originally designed for, which in that case I don't understand how it would qualify as DECENT.

The other members that you seem to be shrugging off are not trying to harass you, but make you aware that you'd be breaking federal law pursuant to your work for the police department(ah the irony) if you are using a ham radio for public safety communications. For the price of the FT-8800R brand new, I'm sure you could find a suitably certified radio second hand that will meet your needs, and deliver superior quality and reliability over that of the Yaesu ham rig.

ZachSmith

What would you recommend for the public safety bands? I had looked at some Kenwoods and Ma-Comms as thats what we've used in our ambulances before, but have had a hard time finding them. I like them because they are very simple once programmed, which is exactly what I want. No frills.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Many public safety agencies have received large fines from the FCC for using amateur radios in their operations. I don't think you want to risk losing your job and facing legal trouble by using a non Part 90 radio in government service. As others have pointed out to you that proper radios can be found at discounted prices for used gear. I have found many nice public safety grade radios online for sale with fair prices. You also stated you are new to radios and it would be very easy to put the wrong transmit frequency into the radio. In programing the radio wrong you could also interfere with another user or radio service and they would quickly work to remove the offending signal. The radio is the life line for the PD/FD while at work and your radio could hamper them. I don't think you would want anyone getting hurt or killed, because they couldn't be heard with your misprogramed radio.

In closing programing radios on public safety systems should not be done by someone without advanced knowledge of commercial two way radio systems, since it much more complex than programing a receive only police/fire scanner.

Last edited:

cquirk

What would you recommend for the public safety bands? I had looked at some Kenwoods and Ma-Comms as thats what we've used in our ambulances before, but have had a hard time finding them. I like them because they are very simple once programmed, which is exactly what I want. No frills.

So I have Vertex radios that work fine on amatuer and are legal for public saftey use. As a vounteer I like one radio with dual purpose and it keeps the cost down and I only carry one radio. The old dual band vertex 2070 is one of my favorites it covers a huge range of frequencies on the VHF and UHF bands in the same radio. .

Bendix King also has some good radios I use from time to time on amatuer and PSB

If you are a competent technician and have the cables and software they are easy to program and maintain. If you are not competent take it to someone who is as you cannot make a mistake in the programming, radios and public saftey folks are not forgiving as they should not be.

I also like the Motorola series of products but the software is not easy to get in most cases.

N6RDC

Besides, using amateur equipment for public service really isn't a good idea since any amateur
can legally talk on the same frequency you'd be using. Trying to conduct emergency communications
on frequencies that amateurs can use for rag chewing won't work. That's one of the main reasons most public services uses restricted portions of the bandwidth. There's plenty of affordable equipment out there for even the smallest cities to use....you'll never get the FCC to go along with the "We can't afford anything except amateur radios" idea....otherwise hundreds of small towns would be doing that.
I'm not trying to start anything, just my 2 cents worth.

KC9AXZ

You'd be better served with a commercial rig. The commercial stuff is bulletproof! The amateur gear isn't made to the same specs as commercial. Not only that but you may be stressing your amateur rig by operating out of band.

Enough with that. You were asking about antennas. I love Larsen antennas. Not they are not a fancy name like Comet and Diamond, but they last just as long and are good quality with a good price.

ZachSmith

Thank you very much for the information. Please let me know if the following are what you would recommend. I'm likely going to buy these to upgrade from my current.

Maxrad BMAX150/450 Dual Band
Larsen NMOQSPEC800 800mhz
Larsen NMO150/450/800 Scanner

pogbobo

I haven't posted on RR in months bc I have been so busy at work, and I dont have internet any more at home (lame, i know, thank you rural va) ... but this thread was calling my name ...

ham dual bander - Yaesu FT8800R goes for about $380 ...
actual LMR mobile - Icom F5021 goes for $299

you dont need to spend 500+ on a kenwood or motorola to get a fantastic, easily programmable, durrable, commercial radio

and none of your county officials should be using ham radios for anything but ... thats just silly, and sad at the same time ... not because its wrong or illegal, i could care less personally ... but with all the grants out there ... cmon

*sigh* --returning to another 6 month posting hiatus

SCPD

QRT
Yeah... using an amateur radio for public safety is definitely NOT the way to go. It's illegal and, if modified to do so, will operate on public safety frequencies but with reduced performance. They're optimized for the bands they were designed for. As one previous person posted, the radios could be taxed if operated outside their designed operation.

I've bought Kenwoods and Motorolas on the used market, some were refurbished and looked like new. They were also less expensive than some amateur radio equipment. My MTS2000 VHF model III cost me $160 with a new case. I use the radio in my part time work at our local Motorola shop, my Kenwood TK 272G was bought for $100 and included 2 batteries and drop in rapid charger. I bought my Kenwood TM V71 amateur mobile radio for almost 3 times what I paid for my 272G and my Yaesu FT7800 cost me $250... ON SALE! Proper commercial gear can be had inexpensively if you do your research. Using amateur radios for P.S. use will only cause trouble for you, with the F.C.C., and possibly for other users on those frequencies.

B

Status
Not open for further replies.