Antenna height on SUV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahere

I have a new Yaesu FT2900R mounted in my SUV with with a 2 meter ~ 19" tall mag antenna on top.
Of course this won't fit under my garage door and I have to get out and lay it down to pull in. Gets old.

Q: What is available in terms of servos to raise and lower an antenna on a car ?
I would like to control it from inside the car.
I'm aware of bumper mount screw antennas automatically telescoping but didn't want to go that route as of now, and not sure the FT2900R can control it anyway.

~ Dahere

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
That motorized mount is interesting. I do wonder what it would do to SWR, power out, and reflected power. If you could take some readings with the mag mount and then with the roof rack mount, it would be very useful info.

I'd also be interested in seeing pics of your install. Factory roof racks these days are generally not what's pictured in the catalog pic. My wife's Grand Cherokee has the low profile rails but no cross members. I am curious how that mount would work on the Jeep.

jim202

I have a new Yaesu FT2900R mounted in my SUV with with a 2 meter ~ 19" tall mag antenna on top.
Of course this won't fit under my garage door and I have to get out and lay it down to pull in.

~ Dahere

You must have a very low door. I have a Grand Cherokee and it fits just fine with a roof mount 1/4 wave whip for 2 meters.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
How much of the antenna hits the top of the garage door sill? If not too much, consider a dual-band flexible mobile antenna like the Comet SBB-1. It's only 16" long and can be center-roof mounted on an NMO mount. I have one and it simply flexes and springs under the garage door when I take the car in/out of the garage. I had a fold-over mobile antenna, and that was fine... until one day I forgot to fold it over and drove into the garage. Wonder how forgetting to lower it would affect the Diamond motorized antenna? Here's a pic of the SBB-1 on top of the Jeep.

Attachments

• Comet SBB-1 on Jeep.jpg
    Comet SBB-1 on Jeep.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 619

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
My wife's Ford Escape has a 18" quarter wave permanently mounted to the center of the roof. No issues parking in the garage. It does touch, but it flexes just fine. Been doing this since 2009 and no issues with the antenna or the garage door.

If you have a full size SUV, then I could see this being an issue.

cmdrwill

Caution: The datasheet says "Accepts "Ground Independent" antennas up to 45" in length".

There IS a big red flag. No groundplane.

Use a 1/4 wave antenna on a NMO mount. Cut the ball off the end of the whip and it will not hang up in the garage. There is a flexible antenna also but pricy,

dahere

The garage door is about 7 feet tall, and this is the picture of the Tram 1185 ( about 19") mag mount on the roof.

It is a Toyota Sequoia which has a fairly high roof line.

Over at Amazon the reviewers say the K9000LRMO isn't made that well: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AR09O2S/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The diamond MR75SJ is foldable, with a max rating of 35 watts. http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/diamond-mr75sj-6122.html
One could I suppose add a servo to this thing.

~ Dahere

Attachments

• antenna.jpg
    antenna.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:

N5TWB

My wife's Ford Escape has a 18" quarter wave permanently mounted to the center of the roof. No issues parking in the garage. It does touch, but it flexes just fine. Been doing this since 2009 and no issues with the antenna or the garage door.

If you have a full size SUV, then I could see this being an issue.

My solution with a full-size SUV was to have the garage door tall enough to pass the vehicle with 1/4-wave antennas mounted. Of course, not everybody is in a construction project that allows such a choice but it was one I made in 2008 and love it every time I drive in the garage with no thought as to the height. It does mean changing out antennas when I want better performance but that's the beauty of the NMO mount. The 1/4-waves are very capable for about 90% of my radio usage. I change out for longer travels away from home, storm spotting, and bike ride support events.

Status
Not open for further replies.